SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ingrid_vc

Roses in the Heat of Summer

Until recently my roses were putting on a fairly good show, but these are the dog days of summer, and I was studying the amount of bloom I have now and came up with precious few roses that were still performing well. Fortunately I have multiples of some of the premier bloomers so it's not just a sea of green bushes. There are the roses that are doing very well now:

Belinda's Dream - the most floriferous right now, bought as an own-root one gallon rose 10/18/10. Bushy, with beautiful foliage, and already a good size, this is the winner of best bloomer in my garden. My second one, bought as a band at around the same time, and in a rather inhospitable spot, is doing its best to catch up to its big sister.

Le Vesuve - I have four and two of them have bloomed constantly since late spring. It stayed cool for a long time this year and hence their late start. They like a lot of sun and the two lesser bloomers are near trees and more shaded. The blooms don't get smaller in the heat.

Mrs. Dudley Cross- Two bushes, but the one with partial shade took a long time to grow well. I love the blooms which even now are still quite large.

The Faun - Own-root from September, 2008. A slow grower in my hot garden but blooming very nicely this year, including right now. Blooms in flushes for me rather than constantly.

Bishop's Castle - In its third flush now and still putting out some new growth.

Cottage Rose - blooming now after mulching and fertilizing; takes the heat rather well for an old Austin.

Mrs. B.R. Cant - April 2, 2010, slowed down by being replanted, but growing nicely now. It has only one flower because I've been disbudding it to stimulate growth. Finally gave up because there were too many buds. There would be lots of flowers now if I hadn't "nipped them in the bud".

Miss Atwood - March 29, 2010 from Vintage. I think this is going to be a monster of a rose, constantly putting out new growth and blooms, including now.

Rosette Delizy - A slow rose for me, but not mulched enough before, now growing and blooming nicely.

Of course this is just a prelude to the main part of the post, namely, hearing about YOUR best roses. My apologies to you northerners who may already be heading toward autumn, but please comment if you also have roses putting on a flower show.

Ingrid

Comments (14)