SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
pat_bamaz7

Is this Louis Philippe?

pat_bamaz7
10 years ago

I got this rose from a section of Louis Philippes at the nursery. Most of the others were blooming with full, cupped globular, sweetly scented blooms that were cherry red with a bit lighter centers. This one had several blooms that were already completely blown and one bud not opened. I chose it since it was a much better looking plant than the others. Now that the bud has opened, I'm wondering if it was in with the others by mistake...maybe that's why it was bigger (I repotted it from its 1 gallon into the 3 gallon container shown in the pics below until I get it in the ground). This bloom (barely double with white eye) looks nothing like the ones on the other LPs at the nursery and isn't as fragrant. I know it's a young plant and chinas can look very different at times, so I wasn't too concerned. Then I checked HMF, and the description there says LP is armed with thorns and has glossy foliage. Mine is basically thornless with matte foliage. I don't recall if the others were thorny with glossy leaves...I think I would have noticed the difference in leaves, but maybe not. I saw a recent thread on the forum about LP, but couldn't tell much from those pics about thorns and foliage. Sorry to ask basically the same question as the other post, but what do you guys think...just an immature plant or wrong rose?

{{gwi:309848}}

{{gwi:309849}}

{{gwi:309850}}

{{gwi:309852}}

Comments (9)