SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
the_morden_man

Well Being- Harkness Shrub Rose

the_morden_man
17 years ago

I posted this on another forum and figured I would post here also...

This rose is already one of my favorite roses and to me, the best I have planted in quite some time.

Although I personally cannot speak to hardiness yet, I have a rose friend who has grown this through an Ontario winter and indicated that cane dieback was about 50%-60% in a zone 5 winter without protection. Last winter was a mild one, but that is still much hardier than your average shrub rose.

Disease resistance has been "good" to "very good" for me this year. They did exhibit some BS (I do not spray), but I find this not unusual for a 1st year rose since they have to work so hard to establish roots, create growth, bloom, repeat and still fight off pests and disease. Many roses I have planted over the years will BS and/or mildew in the 1st year and then rarely exhibit this again in subsequent years once established. If they do, they usually receive a short stay in my garden.

The vigour of Well Being is quite high and it will grow rapidly once happy in its new home. Mine are all from Pickering and grafted to multiflora and planted with the graft about 3-4" deep.

The blooming is sensational both in quantity and speed of repeat. Even as 1st year plants, these roses have been rarely out of bloom and I would assume that once established, they could be labelled as "continual bloomers".

Well Being grows upright and bushy with very nice, plentiful foilage that shows off the blooms to perfection. It throws out large sprays of bloom that are nicely held above the plant and the necks are strong enough to hold the blooms for good display.

The scent of this rose alone, is almost enough to warrant its inclusion in any garden, even if its other attributes weren't as outstanding, as they in fact are. In 2003, at the city of Nantes in France, it took 1st prize in the competition for perfumed roses. This is the only trial for new roses where prizes are awarded solely on the basis of perfume. The judges described it as follows, "To the offactive senses, it presents a magnificent dominance of citrus, notably grapefruit, infused with lime. This upper note is supported by the character of fruity black-currant, on a base of typical rose perfume. It should be underlined that the rose itself is in harmony with the sheer quality of its perfume."

If this rose was an Austin, you can bet your @ss that it would be one of the most popular and asked for roses around.

I have taken literally a hundred photo's of this rose already this year. I quickly uploaded a few of them for you. My enabling is now complete. Resistance is futile...:)

Enjoy.

{{gwi:318991}}

{{gwi:318992}}

{{gwi:318993}}

{{gwi:318994}}

{{gwi:318996}}

Comments (28)