SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sunnysideuphill

one less hen on jb patrol.....or the down side of free range....

sunnysideuphill
15 years ago

Sigh. After going on at great length about how wonderful my hens are at controlling beetles - one is gone for good (probably the fox's good....)

They come in on their own at twilight - the chickens truly do "come home to roost". That's when I shut them into their yard - completely enclosed (roof wire too, cuz of hawks) with access to the coop in the barn, where they roost and where their laying boxes are (they go in and out all day at will).

Well some days I know I won't be home before dark, and those days I either don't let them out, or start calling them in with corn bribes. They all usually come, although one scrawny Golden Comet occasionally spends the night under the deck - she's small enough to squeeze under a space in the lattice.

But Tuesday - in marched both Golden Comets, both Black SexLinked, and only five Barred Rocks. The sixth BR just kept cackling at me, scampering from under the Polareis (a favorit dust bath spot) to under the forsythia. I could not catch her. So I just locked the other nine in, and left, hoping I would find her pacing in front of the henyard door when I returned at 10 from chorale practice.

10 pm no hen. And when I took the dog out early yesterday morning - lots and lots of gray and white feathers, all over the dooryard. I never heard a thing, and my dog slept through whatever excitement went on, which makes me think if was the fox we've all seen along our road.

Sad to think of what the old girl's last moments were like - I hope the fox was efficient.

And of course, my egg laying population just went down by 10%....

Comments (10)

Sponsored
Fresh Pointe Studio
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading Interior Designers & Decorators | Delaware County, OH