SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
kaylah_gw

On the Trail of the Banshee

kaylah
16 years ago

Some days it happens. It occurs to you that you are dumber than a box of rocks. A thought swims up to the surface, kind of like gold floating up in the pan.

Eureka? It could be nothing more significant than the sun coming up or one spring crop of dent dÃlion.

But more about that later.

I was reading Leonie BellÃs account of Banshee when I wondered if she had chosen the wrong rose to nominate as Banshee. Why would anyone keep and passalong a screwed up rose, one that balled and wouldnÃt open? All those versions she had been sent were suckers or seedlings from the original plant.

She describes Banshee as possibly a cross between rosa rapa and MaidenÃs Blush. IÃve just spent two hours on google trying to find a picture of rosa rapa. What turns up are very old accounts of it at google books and a painting by Redoute. Redoute has painted it as double and light red. It has nine leaves. I could find nothing at the Canadian rose Society, other wild species groups, etc. They name rosa blanda, rosa nutkana, and rosa acicularis.

Pickering did not sell it. Helpmefind has no supplier. These old accounts of this rose describe it as occurring above the the Arctic Circle, possibly on Hudson Bay, and they say Eskimo women loved to put them in their hair. Rosa blanda is called the Hudson Bay Rose. The flowers of r. rapa are described as loosely double and pale, while rosa blanda is your usually single pink western rose.

One learned English botanist last century said rosa rapa shouldnÃt be classified as a rose, because of the turnip shaped calyx.

The other day I happened to say that JonÃs rose Rose reminded me of my rose, HallieÃs rose also doing business as Banshee.

Why? It was the height. I could find nothing about the height of r. rapa., except for one excerpt from Graham ThomasÃs book and a bit about it in Stirling Macoboy, all found when discussing JonÃs rose, Rose dÃAmour.

Thomas said heÃd wrongly identified it as r.virginia, and it wasnÃt Rose dÃOrsay either. He thought it might be rosa rapa due to the calyx. And yes, everybody said Rose dÃAmour is extremely tall.

Albas can be extremely tall, but not here. They bud out too early in the spring and freeze. Then I have to chop them. I get about five feet left.

Well, keep yourself busy reading the description of Banshee by Leonie Bell, then go to help me find and look at the rosebuds of Rose DÃAmour.

IÃll post more later.

Here is a link that might be useful: Banshee-the Great Impersonator

Comments (53)