SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ingrid_vc

The Hall of Shame

These are my losers in the summer sweepstakes of roses that carry on in spite of scorching heat. They've been watered as much as the "good roses" but still sulk and languish like dying swans.

1. The Fawn. Who would have thought? No growth, no flowers, just a blob of green for months now.

2. Souvenir d'un Ami. Same as above, with a half-hearted attempt at new growth now, but the bush as a whole has brown-edged leaves and does not gladden the heart. Has always been a problem rose for me and may not be here much longer.

3. Reve d'Or. Obviously not a rose to grow against a house wall and is a brown-leaved mess that seems to deteriorate more every day. Will be replaced by Annie Laurie McDowell in the spring who I hope and pray will have a sterner constitution.

4. Duchesse de Brabant. No flowers at all now and many brown leaves. Has never been one of my better roses but so lovely when she's happy those few weeks out of the year.

5. Cottage Rose. Has done fairly well in the summer until this year. Unhappy-looking bush with the occasional depressed flower.

6.Bermuda Kathleen. Admittedly in a hot place with harsh conditions. Quit flowering when the heat set in and looks unkempt and unattractive.

7. Lavender Simplicity. The few flowers open and burn almost immediately.

8. Alexander Hill Gray. Exerted itself and put out one flower in several months.

9. Lavender Dream. Most of the leaves eaten by rodents and basically a spring bloomer for me. To be replaced with one of the French import tea roses from Vintage in the spring.

With global warning an undeniable reality my goal is to concentrate on roses that can stand the heat and still perform reasonably. The list will undoubtedly be small but I resent pouring water on a rose that sulks for months, and pretty soon there may not be enough water.

Misery loves company so I'd enjoy hearing about your candidates for the Hall of Shame.

Ingrid

Comments (20)

Sponsored
Mary Shipley Interiors
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars32 Reviews
Columbus OH Premier Interior Designer 10x Best of Houzz