SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
azjenny

Old, neglected roses

azjenny
9 years ago

Hi everyone! I'm new to posting on the Garden side of gardenweb, but have lurked A LOT, and have posted on the Home side of the forum. I am in hot, hot Phoenix, Arizona.

Anyway, I have wanted to start a rose garden for several years, but didn't have a good place for it at my old house.
I recently moved to a house where there were about 5 really old, neglected rose bushes.
I figured they wouldn't make it, because the lady who had lived here was 95 and nothing in the yard had been taken care of in years, not to mention not getting much water for at least 6 months while we were renovating. Sound bad?
Well this morning I noticed that I had blooms! One had very fragrant, bright red blooms. The other has sunset colored buds that turn white.

Needless to say, I was very surprised to see blooms, let alone, smell such a strong fragrance, because it's supposed to be 108 today! So I decided maybe I should give these old roses a chance.

The problem is, I am VERY new to roses as an adult (although I've always wanted to grow my own, as it's something I did with my mom growing up). I don't know what they need, and I don't know even what kind they are.

I did a very little bit of deadheading today, just get the dead blooms off, but other than that, what would you suggest I do?

Thanks in advance for any help!!

Comments (12)