SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ispahan

Roses as 'Summer Annuals'?

Hi all:

Many years ago, I used to have a large garden filled with dozens of the hardy, once-blooming old European garden roses. Beautiful treasures like 'Félicité Parmentier', 'Madame Plantier' and 'Belle de Crécy' made my nose twitch and my heart go pitty-pat every season. Life was good.

Fast forward several years later and I am living in a condo in inner-city Chicago and have only a large balcony and the stairwell landing down below on which to garden. I have pretended to be content growing exotic annuals and herbs and unusual tropicals every summer and, in general, I have done a good job of it. And then, every once in a while, a day will come along like today in which I long for rose-filled days gone by.

But here is my predicament: I only have space for five 16" pots in a position that gets approximately 6-7 hours of direct sun per day and I have no way to overwinter roses (or any other large plant for that matter) when colder weather comes.

Is there such a thing as a rose than can be grown in the conditions I just described above and be expected to reasonably fill out a pot and perform well over the course of a single summer? Here are some ideal qualities I am looking for, in order of importance:

1) FRAGRANCE. I need something with a deafeningly strong fragrance of any type except "myrrh."

2) Disease resistance. I would prefer not to spray.

3) Reliable rebloom. Since these are going to be given a large chunk of my available garden space, I need them to be hard workers and earn my respect.

4) Somewhat graceful bush form. They need to look somewhat presentable for when company comes :-)

Color, bloom form and class of rose are all unimportant to me.

Are there any roses that could make me happy next year or should I just keep daydreaming? All advice/comments will be much appreciated.

Cheers,

Ispahan

Comments (24)