SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_8959062

Betty Prior, one of ours but so hard to find

User
11 years ago

Yet another UK rose which seems to have found favour over the pond, so much so that it is practically unheard of in the UK (Mrs B R Cant is another). Having run out of all possible climbing space at the allotment, I have been turning my attention to smaller shrubs....but not titchy little things as they simply cannot compete with the hurly-burly (and neglect) at the allotment. Poor old Mrs Oakley Fisher has disappeared under a sea of penstemons and geraniums. So, I want a nice tall shrub and, as I have mentioned (often, at tedious length) I love singles so, Betty Prior seemed to have my name on it, even though it is ridiculously hard to get hold of.

Although I have been reading reports of its durability in the heat, it is available from a Scottish nursery (and not the niminy-piminy west coast and gulfstream part of Scotland) so it seems to be a toughie. Convince me to spend rather more than I might usually (have to buy a potted rose as they are out of bare-roots) or should I just go for more sweet briars and the like.

Comments (14)