SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
molineux_gw

Tell me about Pierre de Ronsard (aka Eden)

Molineux
15 years ago

IÂve finally made some new space in the garden for two climbing roses around my Eastward facing screened in porch. I was going to put in two climbing Polyanthas but then I remembered this climbing rose I saw at Brookside Gardens in Wheaton Maryland. The rose is PIERRE DE RONSARD, aka Eden 88, and last spring it was S-P-E-C-T-A-C-U-L-A-R! The climber was literally covered from top to bottom with ravishingly beautiful roses. Now of course IÂve known about Eden for some time but have held off trying her because of the poor fragrance reports. So you can imagine my pleasure when I discovered the blossoms are nicely scented. Now by no stretch of the imagination would I describe the fragrance as strong but it is distinctive (fresh and sweet) and perfectly matches the delicacy of the blooms. The only deal breakers are the disease resistance, vigor and remotancy (repeat bloom). I donÂt mind a moderately fragrant rose if the plant itself is superb. So what is the disease resistance like? Does Eden grow well on its own roots and will it take more than 3 years to mature? Lastly, is the repeat bloom reliable? Eden has to be good because IÂd be giving up CLIMBING CLOTILDE SOUPERT, a rose that I absolutely adore.

BTW, enabling photos are ALWAYS welcome.

Best wishes,

Patrick

Image of Pierre de Ronsard by Cactus Joe at Hortiplex.

Comments (19)