SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
traildad

Planning a composting strategy

traildad
12 years ago

I am very new to composting. I started my raised bed garden about a year ago and have been using free compost from the city landfill green waste program. I am currently building a chicken coop and I hope to also raise rabbits. I am trying to plan how to best use composting so I don't have to bring in compost. I live in a suburban home so my space is limited. I have a front lawn, very young apple, nectarine and orange trees. I also have a very huge old walnut tree. I would like to supply my own compost for my garden needs. Maybe rabbit waste and scraps in worm bins. Feed worms and garden waste to the chickens. Chicken waste, garden waste and yard waste into the compost bin.

I am trying to get an understanding of handling the materials I will need. I don't have unlimited room to have compost piles along with storage piles of leaves etc waiting to be used as needed. On top of that room to dry grass or leaves etc. I would love to hear ideas and comments about your insight on this subject and how much room I might need. Thanks Ken

Comments (11)