SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
dlangend1120

New Compost Walkin' Strategy - Epic Fail today

dlangend1120
12 years ago

I thought I had a brilliant idea, and well, I think it still is. I finally realized after 10 years that I can easily find out which streets put out yard waste on which days through the city hall. So, here I struck out on a compost walk at 5 am just to spotcheck those streets. When I went back by in the car at 8, I saw even more, but a few pesky standers by. I felt like a mafia hit man wanting an empty street to do my deed. In any case, I learned 2 key things:

1. Never go compost walking while there are leaves on the trees. That just guarantees dirt and grass clippings with God knows what on them.

2. Never go compost walking while there are leaves on the trees on a Friday after a week where there was rain.

What happened was the first bag was okay, full of dried grass light, but as soon as I lifted it the bottom started to come out of it. It came out completely in my car. It wasn't too bad, just dusty. But the second bag looked good on top (another reason to not want anybody around, you have to be too particular about the bags this time of year). As soon as I carried it across the street, the bottom came out, and dried-mud clumps of dirt poured on to the street. Unfortunately, I had parked across the street because the homeowner was leaving for work when I came down the street the other way, so I went around the block through a side street. And so the dirt pile was in the middle of the street, with traffic coming up behind me. I should have and could have opened my trunk and scooped up the dirt and dumped it on the tarp I have back there. But stupidly, I panicked and threw all the mud behind my seat on the floor. Needless to say, I'll be heading down to Big Bend Car Wash before the DW sees what I did....

Comments (26)