SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
firstmmo

Calling all chicken owners!

firstmmo
13 years ago

I am new to growing my own veggies, composting and seed starting.....I have a question for you about your compost piles:

1. After you clean your run and/or coop, and you put the poo + shavings in your composter, do you need to add other organic material? We have very few trees (so no leaves) to add to the composter for the dry ingredients, but I was hoping that the pine shavings would be enough.

2. How have you kept your chickens away from your veggie gardens? Are there any veggie plants that they won't eat? So far my 6 hens have not destroyed my lawn or my plants, which some people say is a miracle. But they have a designated "dig area" that they always seem to be scratching around, so I guess my lawn isn't interesting. I will be planting a veggie garden for the first time in raised beds and am hoping to make removeable "screens" to cover the seedlings until they are bigger. Do your chickens devastate your gardens?

3. Any suggestions for compatibly living with chickens and a veggie garden? The configuration of our yard will make it hard to fence in the areas.....

Comments (7)