SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
flaurabunda

Okay bug pros, what kind of hornet is stalking me?

flaurabunda
13 years ago

I have a big ugly SOMETHING that has arrived sometime over the last 2 weeks. It's a hornet of some sort, but you're not going to see me posting any pictures of it. I am NOT going to attempt to get close enough to this turkey to shoot a pic.

It's at least 2 inches long. Has no "waist" or thinning of the abdomen like a wasp. It's very brightly striped with a sort of chartreuse yellow and black, so I've nicknamed him the Green Hornet for now. Can't tell you what the facial markings are. Really don't want to see his face from that distance.

It's very interested in the rose bed, particularly the hardscape around it. I'm assuming it either wants to or already has built a home down in the rocky retaining wall. It's scaring me out of my yard and there's no way I can knock him down with hornet killer. He's quite evasive and FAST. I'd call him the Navy Seal of hornets.

I'm thinking it might be a cicada killer, but not sure. We are rather inundated with cicadas at the moment. Is there anything I can do to make my yard less interesting, or kill it without harming the good guys?

---Laura

Comments (9)