SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
flaurabunda

How to train Mme Hardy on a brick wall?

flaurabunda
13 years ago

Madame Hardy is my only climbing rose for now. She's right next to the front door of my bilevel, and she's massive. The picture below was taken in early May. I have cut her back severely 3 times already this summer, and I still have several canes that are at least 10 feet long!

{{gwi:317070}}

The canes want to fall forward & sprawl out. They're easy to bend & manipulate, but I don't know what tools or tricks to use to get her to go up the front of our house. The trellis shown behind it is useless because she looks fine at a height equal to the trellis without any support. What I'd like is to have her attached somehow to the brick so that she covers the entire height of the house. I've never had a problem with any piece of her dying back over the winter, and I don't know how old she is. She was there (and MASSIVE) when we moved into this house 2 years ago. I had to cut her back before we could get furniture in the front door.

So, basically, it's a question of what kind of fasteners to use that won't damage her canes as she blows in the wind, in addition to having a type of fastener that can be drilled into the existing mortar.

I tried using really long screws with burlap ties around the canes, but they just slip right off the end of the screw. She grows so fast I could realistically keep attaching 2 feet going up each week.

---Laura

Comments (17)