SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
iluvgarden

Jackson and Perkins to be auctioned

iluvgardens
13 years ago

I saw an article about Park Seeds that owns Jackson and Perkins. It said the Park Seeds, J&P, J&P Wholesale, are to be auctioned on August 23, 2010. With this auction, it said the future of J&P will be determined. Park Seeds purchased J&P in 2007. On July 22 South Carolina bankrupt courts allowed the companies to combine the companies making them one debtor. Their debts are 44.7 million and 8.3 million in assests. When J&P was sold in 2007 from Harry and David Holdings(also known Bear Creek) it was sold for 21 million. They had the company for 41 years. J&P said that the companyÂs troubles began 2008 with the economic decline. Bankruptcy trustee Stanley Neely told the Multichannel Merchant, an online trade magazine, he has received multiple offers to buy the company.

One group, J&P Park Acquisitions, which likely includes current investors in George W. Park Seed Co., has submitted a bid of $7.09 million. Bids will be accepted until Aug. 18

I hope that they can turn this company around. It has such a long history of having the best roses and in the past had excellent reputation (which I think they lost in the past few years). I remember back in the late 1950s and 1960s my mother only bought J&P roses and how I loved to look at their catalogs.

It must be hard for all companies during these times. I live outside of Kansas City and we are losing a company, Folgers, that has been in business here since 1908. They are moving this company to another location to save money after they just celebrated their 100 year anniversary in KC. I hate to see all the closing of the rose companies since the roses are such a bright and joyful part of our lives. Here is hoping that one of the giants of roses can turn their company around.

Linda in Missouri

Comments (7)