SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
dfcash55

Compost with care...

dfcash55
13 years ago

I am a fanatic composter but after reading some of the posts by other fanatics I have a few words of caution about what to compost:

Paper: If it is recyclable it benefits the earth much more to recycle it. This is because fewer trees will need to be cut down for new paper and it takes much less energy to create new paper from old paper rather than new trees. By all means keep composting paper that cannot be recycled like napkins, tissues, coffee filters, pizza boxes, etc. It certainly makes sense to use old newspaper and cardboard for lining the bird cage or as pet bedding rather than buying new, but it doesn't make sense to put these materials directly into the compost when they are still in recylable condition.

Clothing: Be sure it is a natural fiber and remove the seams, designs and buttons. The seams and embroidery are usually polyester thread which will not break down. Don't compost leather, leather is treated very heavily with toxic chemicals. You don't want these in your garden soil. As with anything, try to find ways to recycle and/or reuse clothing prior to composting it.

Human Urine: be careful not to contaminate food crops. Also be cautious of using it if you are taking prescription medications. You don't want these residues in your vegetable garden.

The contents of the vacuum bag: There are often small peices of plastic and carpet fibers which will not break down and may leach toxic chemicals into the soil over the years.

Pet feces: I've read that the only way to safely deal with dog and cat waste is to bury it at least 2 feet in the ground and 20 feet away from food crops. Some studies have found that dangerous bacteria from pet waste can stay in the soil for several years. Use a biodegradable litter as well. Clay litters don't break down, are usually strip-mined and may contain a lot of baking soda.

Meat, bones, eggs, dead animals, dairy and cooking oil: These items all break down to benefit the soil but they may smell terrribly and harbor dangerous bacteria in the process. They aren't ideal in compost bins and piles unless you really know what you are doing. The best method is to bury them in the soil and forget them. Bury deep enough not to attract pests, keep oils from damaging plants and keep bacteria away from food crops that contact the soil. You probably want to bury them in a place where they won't be disturbed for a couple years. Larger bones will probably resurface in the garden. When they do they will be clean and safe, I find a good way to dispose of these is to drop them into the hole when planting a tree or shrub or any plant that will be around for awhile (my raspberry patch probably has an entire butcher shop under it). They will slowly leach beneficial minerals into the soil as they decompose over many years.

If you are not able to compost an item safely and in a way that won't be unsightly or smelly for the neighbors it is better to throw it in the garbage. Throwing away the occaisional compostable item is not the worst eco-sin you can commit.

Comments (16)