SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
catankgirl

If too many rotting figs got too wet...

catankgirl
16 years ago

would it smell like dog poo, or do you think I got dog poo in my compost?

Here the dealo, I have a small compost bin (from the city, about the size of a large garbage can) that I compost mostly grass clippings and fallen leaves. I also add any fruit and veggie waste I come across.

So, it's fig season, so lot of figs from our crazy tree are going in there, a lot being like 10-20 a day. These are the ones the birds and squirrels half get, we don't eat or give away or make preserves out of. How does one little fig tree make so many figs?

Anyway, I might have put a little too much water in the compost and it is stinky! I put some compost around some plants and there were flies flying around it. Yuck.

We don't have a dog, but occasionally dogsit for a friend and he sometimes poops behind our avacado tree where we get the fallen leaves for the compost from. My husband just mows them up with the lawn mower, so some dog poop *could* have gotten in there from month ago. Do you think that is what happened or is the funky stink from the abundance of rotting figs?

My final question is, if it's possibly actual dog poo in my compost, how careful do I have to be using it, especially if I just use it around plants not used for providing anything edible? My compost is usually pretty good, but probably not totally "done," ykwim? It kinda grosses me out thinking I'm putting dog poo around my plants, even in little small traces.

BTW, hi, so glad I found this forum, I'm definately turning into a huge composting wacko, even on a small scale. My kindergarten daughter told her teacher the other day that we are taking home the brown paper towels to put in our compost that she used to wipe up water from the floor she spilled. Go girl!

Comments (3)