SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
david_sweden

Wet how many days before risk of root rot?

9 years ago

There's at least a couple of good reasons why it would be useful to know how many days soil may remain wet before there's risk for root rot:

• If one puts potted plants outdoors in the summer and it rains every other day for a month then you'll have wet soil for a month even with good drainage. Do you cover the pot with plastic such days or is that not necessary?
  • It would be nice to have a plan for how to be able to go on vacation for two weeks and ask a friend to look after the plants not too often. If I move them slightly out of the sun then succulents need no water or could get a small sip after a week; most other plants (e g dracaenas and palm trees), which mustn't get dry, one could perhaps instruct the friend to sightly overwater. If two weeks of rather wet is ok.
  • If for some reason I want to water a plant that was watered a few days ago and still is wet (like if I buy a new plant and want to flush the leaves clean in the shower).

There are probably lots of soil fungus but the one usually mentioned is Phytophthora, especially P. cinnamomi, and the other ones I often hear about is Pythium (not really a fungus) and the less common Thielaviopsis basicola (black root rot). I found a few credible sources on the internet already:

• (1) "Pythium root rot can occur at any time of the year as long as the soil remains saturated for several days or weeks"
  • (2) "Phytophthora root rot is most severe in fields with poor internal drainage or in fields where soils become saturated by excessive irrigation or rainfall. Flood-irrigated stands that stay wet for up to 10 days are more likely to develop Phytophthora root rot than sprinkler-irrigated stands. However, severe root rot damage can occur in sprinkler-irrigated stands that are continuously irrigated, even in sandy soils."
  • (3) "Common Root Rot and Scab: Spores splash onto spikes and infect flower parts if they remain continually wet for several days."
  • (4) "Pythium root rot (warm temp species): is made worse by salt stress"
  • (5) "The recent wet weather for much of North Carolina during the past couple of weeks followed by hotter than normal weather has led to Pythium root rot from the Piedmont to the Coast on creeping bentgrass putting greens."
  • (6)"Field observations have suggested that the initiation of root rot in table beets is associated closely with the cool, wet soil conditions that prevail in early to late spring in New York when considerable acreage of beets is often planted."

This seems to indicate that it is something like "several days" or "weeks", probably less than 2 weeks? But that it depends on e g temperature (and of course the plants general health).

It would be interesting to hear of your experiences. Lots of people put potted plants outdoors in the summer, if they rotted then how many days was it wet, and how many days has a plant been wet without health issues?

A related thought: Black root rot has no air borne spores I read, so that's a relief, but Phytophthora has...

Comments (13)