SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
bart_2010

roses for morning shade, afternoon sun

bart_2010
9 years ago

Hi, everybody. I have this spot in my garden-a very prominent one- that tends to have shade in the morning, and the roasting Italian south-west sun in the afternoon. NOT ideal conditions for roses, or perhaps any plant! I just dug up a large plant of Lens's Patricia Beucher which I had growing there. This rose was growing vigorously and healthy,but did not flower much,and seeing on the Lens site that it is listed as wanting full sun, I assumed that the placement was wrong. Now I am not so sure: on digging it up, I discovered that the soil was patheticly dry,clearly incapable of absorbing and retaining any moisture. So, the first thing that will happen is that I'll work on the soil A LOT. But what to plant there, once the soil has been improved? Since P. Beucher did indeed "tolerate" this site ,and it isn't even supposed to be particularly shade tolerant, I think it's worth trying roses there again,but this time looking for ones that are known to be shade tolerant. I've been checking on HelpMeFind,the Lens site, and also the Peter Beales site (if a rose tolerates shade in England, it should certainly do so here in Italy, I'd think!) and I've come up with the following list of possibilities:
Purple Skyliner
Sir Paul Smith
Narrow Water
Lavender Lassie
Perennial Blue
Reine des Violettes
Mme Isaac Pereire
Laguna
Excellenz Von Schubert
Rosengarten Zweibrucken

Do any of you grow these roses successfully in shade? And how about Stormy Weather (here sold as Princess Sibilla of Luxembourg) and Night Owl? Any other suggestions? I'm looking for mauves, violets,deep, cool pinks,deep,cool purple reds...thanks, bart

Comments (6)