SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ingrid_vc

Success with Early Hybrid Teas

These can be a real challenge, and I must not be alone in thinking this since I've heard comments here that they're weak and wimpy, refuse to grow and are just generally frustrating to deal with.

I'm by no means an expert since I haven't had many and one I've already yanked out (Graf Fritz von Hochberg), probably prematurely. I have on order Lady Alice Stanley so that will give me another one to "play with".

Right now I have La France, her sport Duchess of Albany and Souvenir de President Carnot.

My conclusions so far have been:

1. Don't bother if you're not in a warm zone. I can't imagine these wimpy little plants surviving a harsh winter. I have no personal knowledge of this and stand to be corrected.

2. Plant them in your most optimal spots. That would mean morning and afternoon soon, preferably late afternoon shade.

3. Mulch and water are of the utmost importance. These little guys are fragile and heat without protection could kill them in short order.

4. Harden your heart and disbud them for a good long period of time. They need all their energy for growing roots, branches and leaves. I've broken this rule a little with La France, the sturdiest of the three and allow it to have one bud at a time so I can drink in that heavenly fragrace and enjoy the beauty of the bloom. Surprisingly the heat we've had lately hasn't bothered my three and in fact I'm starting to feel that it helps them to grow as long as watering and mulching are done religiously.

Are they worth the little bit of extra care? In my opinion, YES! They have a special quality that adds beauty and diversity to the rose garden, and it's a good feeling that I'm helping to preserve some of these old beauties that might otherwise soon fall by the wayside.

Does anyone else grow early hybrid teas? If so, I'd love to hear about your experience with them.

Ingrid

Comments (30)