SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
merlena87

My opinion on own-root hybrid teas

Sara-Ann Z6B OK
8 years ago

I know the past couple of years I've brought up own-root roses two or three times. When it comes to old garden roses, I now have no qualms about own-root, and for most of them, I think that is the only way they are available. I know that there are differing opinions on whether hybrid teas do that good own-root. I think it must depend on the zone and other factors too. My main source for own-root roses has been Roses Unlimited. I also ordered a few from Burlington this year. I think they are both great sources. Early in the season I planted five hybrid tea roses in small pots, then later on transplanted them into larger pots. The varieties are Milestone, Brigadoon, La France, English Perfume and Marijke Koopman, they are doing great. La France and MK came from Burlington, the other three from Roses Unlimited. I am very pleased with the quality available from both companies. The blooms they have produced so far have been as good as my newly planted grafted roses and I am confident enough that I would order any hybrid tea, or other modern rose own-root. I also have more established own-root hybrid teas that are doing good. I'm not trying to sway or change anyone's opinion, just letting you know my experience.

Comments (34)

Sponsored
Landscape Management Group
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars29 Reviews
High Quality Landscaping Services in Columbus