SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jacqueline9ca

Cramoisi Superior is Superior!

jacqueline9CA
12 years ago

I have two plants of this rose (old old cherry red china) which have been growing in my garden for who knows how many decades. I just wanted to point out how "hardy" they are - not cold hardy, of course, but that is irrelevant here. I am a lazy gardener, and many of my roses are ignored for a long time between any care.

The CS about which I am speaking was growing in partial shade in the front of the garden. Then one day a boring yellow standard rose which was about 3 feet away from it died, and the next year up came rootstock from where we had dug out the standard, which miraculously turned out to be de la Grifferie. It sent up 10 foot canes, has large leaves, & basically blanketed the CS. It took 3 years before the de la Grifferie bloomed, but I left it as it was obviously NOT Dr. Huey, and I was curious. When the first very double, dark pink, and fabulously fragrant roses opened, I was hooked. So, I let it grow and spread for years without thinking much about it.

Last week my DH and I were working in that part of the garden, mostly pulling up valerian (Jupiter's Beard) seedlings which were trying to take over. Upon close examination, I realized that I now had two large bushes of de la Grifferie, not one, and that the old CS was hardly visible. So, my DH dug one of the CS up, we pruned the other one, and low and behold the old CS was still there. It had grown up more, probably desperate to get some light, and 90% of its canes were all tilted over to one side at a 45 degree angle, trying to get out from under the de la Grifferie. I worked with it for 45 minutes, and was able to untangle several of the main canes from one and other (NOT easy with a china!), and spread it out in a fan shape, and tied it to the (providential) fence behind it.

A few months ago we took down a huge gigantic eugenie tree that was shading that part of the garden, so it is getting more light (and even maybe 4 hours of actual sun) now. I am looking forward to what it will do next - even in shade and smushed by the other rose, it still had blooms on it! I have decided that for our climate china roses are almost perfect. The other CS I have grows intermingled with Safrano, and as both of them put out small, twiggy canes, they are co-existing just fine. The pale buff yellow blooms and the cherry red blooms go great with each other, and they both bloom starting in Feb/March, and are still going strong! Just wanted to point out that some of our oldest roses are still the best!

Jackie

Comments (13)

Sponsored
Dream Baths by Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars12 Reviews
Your Custom Bath Designers & Remodelers in Columbus I 10X Best Houzz