SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
izzybelle_gw

Is this cramoisi superior = Leilani (rose of Maui)?

izzybelle
16 years ago

I think I finally have the kinks out of my camera and this upload business...So, could anyone please confirm the name of this rose?

{{gwi:314756}}

Comments (6)

• sammy zone 7 Tulsa
    16 years ago

That picture looks like mine that is Cramoisi Superior, but experts might know of many roses that look like that. It is beautiful. Is the bush quite large?

Sammy

• gnabonnand
    16 years ago

Looks like CS to me too. And the leaves do too.

Randy

• mauirose
    16 years ago

LeeAnn-
    Just read about the history of the rose in Hawaii in a great new reference-A Tropical Garden Flora: Plants Cultivated In The Hawaiian Islands And Other Tropical Places (Hardcover). According to the authors, Staples and Herbst, the rose called 'Lokelani' has changed identities over the years and currently refers to the red china Louis Phillipe. (CS v. LP-not even going to go there!) Costco is selling the book right now if you're interested.
    Pretty rose.

• Molineux
    16 years ago

Smell the flowers. My CRAMOISI SUPERIOR smells just like cherry lifesavors candy. The flower form is similar. Color is a bit off but my CS does start out dark pink then progressively "suntans" to deep red. One of the things I like about CS is that it doesn't burn in full sun like so many modern reds. Leaf shape is right. All-in-all it looks like Cramoisi Superior.

• izzybelle
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks so much Mauirose--I've been very curious about the "history" of roses in Hawaii because of the strong connection to the island of Maui.
    On another note, if that is cramoisi superior, than what is this?
    {{gwi:314757}}

• izzybelle
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Sorry in such a hurry that I forgot to thank everyone for their help! I'm running between two children right now and am in and out (volleyball, basketball, school parent teacher conferences...). Also, Sammy, the plant really is not that big as it is in a pot (7 or 10 gal.) and altogether stands about 2 1/2 feet tall and about as wide. Thanks,
    Lee Ann