SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jackie_o_gw

Should I plant Clementina in the ground?

jackie_o
16 years ago

I found a few sites that gave Clementina Carbonieri and Monsieur Tiller zone 6 ratings. They've changed the map to put me at zone 6 and I have some things like Kleim's Hardy gardenia and Osmanthus heterophyllus "Goshiki" which are both zone 7 plants that have survived for a few years here (even through -30 this winter - with the wind chill).

I've got two Georgetown Teas, Mlle. Franziska Kruger, Baronne Henrietta de Snoy, Clementina Carbonieri and Mons. Tillier.

Right now they are all in pots except Mons. Tillier which is planted in the garden and growing by leaps and bounds.

The pots have gone into my unheated, unattached garage which isn't insulated and gets nearly as cold as the outside. I think the only thing the garage affords them is that it keeps the wind off.

If I could plant Clementina and leave Mons. Tillier in the ground but make sure to create a windbreak what do you think?

I guess after this long ramble, what I'm interested in is does anyone in my zone or close to it have these guys surviving in the ground and where did the zone 6 rating come from? (I'm pretty sure I saw that rating on the Ashdown site)

Comments (10)

Sponsored
Fresh Pointe Studio
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading Interior Designers & Decorators | Delaware County, OH