SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
view1ny

why is my Port Sunlight only 15" high with 2" blooms?

view1ny NY 6-7
10 years ago

HMF says that Port Sunlight has height of up to 4' 11". Mine is in a container, is very compact and has very thin, floppy stems with 2" flowers.

Teasing Georgia which is supposed to be light yellow with a height of 42" is about 7' high, very bushy & healthy looking, puts out lots of apricot flowers the exact same color as Port Sunlight - apricot & not yellow at all.

This is their 3rd summer in my garden, & I originally thought that it would be best to plant my Austins in the ground rather than in containers. James Galway & Teasing Georgia took off like gangbusters, but I had to dig up Princess Alexandra of Kent & Lady of Megginch because they were doing so poorly in the ground (they're doing much better in containers now.)

At least this year Port Sunlight is putting out some flowers; last year there were only a few. They're all getting lots of sun & water. I'm trying to keep them well fed. What gives?

I've been thinking of getting Lady of Shalott for its gorgeous color, but don't want to end up with another compact invalid.
My Lady of Megginch (originally planted in the ground) ended up with one cane only, so I dug her up, put her in a container in the infirmary section of my deck out of the blazing New York morning sun. I am happy to report that she is no longer on life support and is growing 2 new canes & even had one gorgeous flower last week. I guess I can't believe everything the gorgeous catalogs tell me, but am wondering what is going on. I'd appreciate any advice.

Comments (5)