SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
meslgh

I think Earthkind is trialing David Austin roses

meslgh
9 years ago

As many of you know, Earthkind is a Texas program that tests roses and other plants on a kind of "tough love" basis. There is a demonstration garden in one of the Dallas suburbs that I dropped by today, even though I wasn't expecting it to look like much, given the month.

I had last visited last fall, and I was very surprised to see things looking quite different from last year. Lots of roses that had been there had been pulled out, and had been replaced with row after row of David Austin roses labelled something like David Austin trial roses. Sorry, no pictures. I'm going to have to go back when I have some more time, and check things out more carefully. One thing I did notice is that although previous Earthkind trials have not used supplemental water (or maybe they did in the first year and not subsequently), there did appear to be a drip system installed. I hope that it is really true that they are testing the David Austin roses under no-spray Texas conditions, as this would be valuable information.

Comments (9)