SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
cultiv8er

Perennial gardening beneath a sweetgum tree (long)

cultiv8er
15 years ago

Don't mean to be a boardhog, but this is something that's bothered me all summer so I'm hoping this crowd can shed some light for me.

When we moved into our new home on a mostly clear-cut lot, we were happy to have one lone shade tree left in our full-sun backyard. It's a 20- to 3-foot sweetgum tree, and its canopy is very narrow because it was crowded/shaded by pines its whole life.

My goal had been to create a teeming, bean-shaped butterfly garden beneath the sweetgum tree and stock it full of tough, reliable perennials and also some spashy annuals.

What a joke it has turned out to be. It really seems that nothing will grow beneath this tree. 18 months later all I have to show for my efforts are a few remaining drought-tolerant specimens that, while alive, are barely bigger than they were when they went in over a year ago. It's an equal-opportunity bummer - NOTHING has flourished. Among the stragglers are Happy Returns daylilies, rudbeckias, coneflowers, helenium, a group of 6 zebra grasses that ring the base of the tree, a foster holly, an emerald green arborvitae, 3 coreopsis ... everything is hanging by a thread but just barely. I even tried some red salvia from a 6-pack and it didn't even make it for 2 weeks. Just curled up and died.

Do I need to just give up on the dream and move all my pretty flowers to the perimeter of the yard? Most flowers planted elsewhere did fine, if not exactly fantastic. We have loads of high-quality shredded bark mulch so weeds are not a problem.

But I'm left staring at a big, flat brown mess in what was supposed to be the centerpiece of the garden. Getting rid of the tree is not an option because it's the only thing that offers the yard and the house any shade at all in the afternoon.

:-/ Hope someone can help. Thanks! (And I promise, no more long posts today.)

Comments (5)