SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
bosewichte

New Perennial Garden with "Creative" Sun/Shade Ideas

bosewichte
10 years ago

Help! My husband and I moved to South Carolina this fall and found the perfect house in the perfect location with lots of space, lovely trees, peaceful pond, etc. The problem? When we moved in, the trees were bare. I eyeballed the property (1.9 acres) and figured I could squeeze in a sun-loving perennial garden (cottage flowers!!) SOMEWHERE.

Well, spring came, the leaves came back, and this place is...pretty completely shady. I'm covered on shade plants and have several shade gardens going. But I'm suffering without my sun-lovers...roses, lilacs, coneflowers, blazing stars, etc., etc.

Here's my question. There are several spots that get 2 - 3 hours of full, HOT afternoon sun. Do you think I could get away with planting full-sun flowers there? Or - I would *love* suggestions for part-sun cottage perennial flowers. Heck, ANY flowers. This place is SO green but nothing is blooming since the spring flowers died back! I've been feeling really sad about this because I just can't imagine living somewhere long-term where I can't have my colorful summer flower garden.

Thanks so much for any advice!

Comments (8)

Sponsored
Daniel Russo Home
Average rating: 4.7 out of 5 stars13 Reviews
Premier Interior Design Team Transforming Spaces in Franklin County