SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
dianepmt_gw

Transplanting Perennials, Grasses, Fall Trimming or Not...

dianepmt
17 years ago

I'm still a newbie gardener, with much bigger aspirations than time. We have a very small lot, and the ornamental grasses planted up against the house (maybe Maidenhair?) by the previous owners a few years ago got a lot bigger this year than I expected and flopped so far forward the past few weeks that they are covering some taller sedums and small clumps of blue fescue I planted in the Spring. Basically they engulf about 2/3 of that front planting bed, now, with the forward flop. Even the lavendar that has been there several years and I thought had maxed out in size grew much larger than I expected. Everything looks a bit crowded, and even though the grasses didn't flop till a few weeks ago, I don't know if the plants in front of them will be covered by them next summer if they get any bigger. I moved a lot last year, and I think I will be moving a lot of the same plants again, if they'll survive that. I hope to get some help next Spring with cutting back part of the grasses, since the clumps are at least 1/3 larger than we really have room for. I tried to get a shovel through there in the Spring, and jumping on it, still couldn't cut away any of the clump. We do like the way they look and they're well established, now, but I sure wish the previous owners had planted a more upright variety. Hopefully just cutting them back will keep them in check, but is there another variety I should consider that has a more upright habit and won't get so out of control?

We have had one or two frosts (I think), but the only thing that really died back were the annuals. Everything else still looks pretty good, though the sedums are starting to shrivel a bit. Is now a good time to move plants, particularly the sedums which have only been in since Spring?

Also not sure about whether Fall or early Spring pruning is best for certain plants vs. others. This Spring I waited probably a few weeks too late to trim the lavendar, and I saw new growth on what I thought were dead stems from last year, even toward the top, but I pruned back to a few inches from the base, anyway. The plants came back, but very slowly, particularly the ones that had also been moved. I'm sure I did at least one thing wrong, there.

Thanks so much for any advice!

Comments (7)