SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
celestialrose_nh

My Gallicas are REALLY purple!....(photos)

celeste/NH
15 years ago

I don't know what it is about my soil here but my gallicas and other crimson/purple roses are always more purple than what I see in public gardens or in photos. For instance, I have seen Charles de Mills many times (because he's my favorite rose of them all) and most are ever as deep purple as mine, and I have 3 bushes....all purple. The ones I have seen start off more red/magenta then fade to purple but mine are always purple. I have never bothered to take my soil PH because my roses are all so healthy, but wonder what makes my roses so purple? I live in a mountainous area of New Hampshire (zone 4) and our state is called the Granite State for a reason....granite rocks are in every shovelful of soil and make for hard digging. The color in the photos is true....no trick photography with my cheapo camera. If anything, the camera doesn't capture the purple coloration adequately; they are more purple in person.

Do any of you know what causes some roses, Gallicas especially, to tend more toward purple rather than crimson or magenta?

Celeste

CHARLES DE MILLS, IN THE RAIN.....

{{gwi:228428}}

{{gwi:296820}}

{{gwi:296821}}

NESTOR

{{gwi:228440}}

{{gwi:296822}}

{{gwi:296823}}

JENNY DUVAL, SHOWING HER MANY SHADES OF PURPLE....

{{gwi:296824}}

{{gwi:228432}}

TUSCANY SUPERB, ALWAYS DEEP, DARK PURPLE VELVET.....

{{gwi:228430}}

ROBED IN RAINDROPS.....

{{gwi:296825}}

{{gwi:296826}}

NOT GALLICAS, BUT MIGHTY PURPLE TOO....

VIOLETTE (RAMBLER)

{{gwi:296827}}

NIGHT OWL....

{{gwi:296828}}

Comments (28)

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group