SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ituzzip

How important is fall foliage to oriental poppies?

12 years ago

This summer I propagated oriental poppies by picking off some of the nubs (don't know the technical term) from the root crown and re-planting them elsewhere. The nubs are the size and shape of baby carrots (the processed kind) and the mother plant had one corresponding to each of this spring's flower stems; they all direct back to a single taproot.

Many of the "cuttings" died; it was too hot this August when I planted them, so those in full sun just dried out. A few others grew some weak, flimsy leaves that appeared soon after, and I do know from one I accidentally dug up that they produced some fine roots before setting leaves. The ones that were shaded by other plants and well-watered have now produced little rosettes of poppy leaves that are no bigger than Brussels sprouts.

Even the "mother" plant which leafed out again this fall has rosettes no bigger than Brussels sprouts.

My question is, does this foliage actually provide some energy for the plants to grow and establish? Or is it just a vestigial feature from the plant's wild ancestors where fall foliage played a bigger role?

It's hard for me to imagine that leaves this small are significantly contributing to the establishment of the cuttings or, for that matter, to the growth of the parent plant, which is a huge, deep taproot several feet long that is now capped by just a tiny little saucer-sized leaf area of several little plants. Has anyone observed a significant amount of root growth in oriental poppies autumn? And can I expect this to persist well into the winter or will it disappear with the first hard frost?

Comments (7)

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting