SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
papasmurf_gardener

how to collect Cleome seed. (aka.Spider or Butterfly plant

papasmurf_gardener
16 years ago

Howdy folks. Long time reader first time member here. I suppose an intro of sum sort would be fitting here. First off I live in S.E. Wisconsin or zone 5 which I recently learned. Well I've always wanted to start a flower garden of sum sort but I've never really had a spot to do so until now. My plot is about 8ft long and 3-4ft deep. I'll be attempting to grow Cleome and sum other shorter flowers to accent the garden. The Ceome seeds I acquired were from a neighbor's over-grown cleome patch of the white, lavender, and the mixed color variety. It took me awhile to figure out where the seed formed on the plant but now I'm not sure if they were mature enough. I heard the seeds should be black but mine are a tan color and thier shells are quite tough even b4 I've dried them. If I have to I can still get more if these seeds weren't "ripe", but I guess I won't really know until I start them. So my initial questions are........ Whats the best way to dry the seeds? in the pod or in an envelope? And how do I recognize a "ripe" seed? And last but not least.... What else should I grow along side the Cleome? Well I'm done rambling for now and I thank anyone in advance for any info you can share. Take care for now, I plan on thecking the forums alot and I can't wait to possibly help sumone else in need.

Comments (4)