SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
poodlepup_gw

I am now the neighborhood joke

poodlepup
14 years ago

I just need a place to lick my wounds a little, and this seemed like the right place. 2 years ago I built the beautiful white picket fence in the front yard, and dreamed of having roses all along it- spilling in between the pickets -spilling over the pickets. Well mother nature had different plans with her underground river, and almost all my carefully selected roses almost died. My choices were 1. give up on having roses, or any other plants along my fence, and just setttle for a lawn, or 2. Use some kind of raised containers or beds to plant roses in. Well, I tried wine barrels, and it just looked crummy. It was hard to maintain, and the roses never met their full potential. I also didn't like looking at 10 wine barrels in a long line. So, I had 2' high x 2' deep, by 17-1/2' wide (the other one is 15' long) brick planters built along the fence, with just enough room in between to paint the fence. EVERYONE has told me that they look horrible, ugly, overkill, awkward, etc. . True, you can't see the fence from one side, now, but you couldn't see it with plants there either. I don't think it looks bad, but maybe I am blinded by the fact that I just want roses there , no matter what. Tomorrow I will plant the roses in the horrible eyesore that is now my front yard. Thanks for listening....

Kate.

ps I'd post a photo, but I don't know how.

Comments (36)