SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
buckeye85_gw

Neighborhood Cat Violates My Potatoes - What Now?

Buckeye85
11 years ago

I've read several threads on here regarding neighborhood animals treating gardens like a toilet, and can see that there is some controversy, but I thought I'd throw this situation out there and see what everyone says.

I have very young potatoes (just coming up through several inches of soil) in three smart pots. A week ago, I noticed that some soil had been shifted around, but the potatoes seemed to be in place and I just shrugged it off as wind or an animal that got chased off before it did anything.

Today, I saw a pile of soil by the pot, and a seed potato on the ground next to it. I grabbed a pair of disposable gloves and found cat feces in addition to this greenish glop (bleccch) where the potato had been. I removed those things as best I could (like I said...it was goopy...I'm sure I missed some) and replaced the soil without much thought, but then it occurred to me that I might have reason to worry.

So what's the deal, here? Should I dump that container (sadly, containing all but one of my Peruvian Purple plants) and cut my losses? Forget about it and not worry?

Mainly, I am trying to determine if there is a chance of issues with consideration of 1) me, a young woman who would like to have children in the next several years and 2) my cat, who is strictly indoors and minimally vaccinated.

If I knew who owned the cat, I'd probably say something, but it's clearly and outdoor (scruffy) cat who is well-fed, but wanders a lot...I've seen it all over the neighborhood.

Comments (24)