SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
melonhedd

Texas coast seaweed report (long)

melonhedd
17 years ago

Was an absolutely gorgeous thansgiving weekend in Port Aransas - sunny, breezy, upper 70's. Beach was uncrowded, clean of debris and jellyfish, and the water was refreshingly cold and clear, with nice waves to feed my body surfing addiction. Only thing that could make it better was a nice haul of seaweed(my first experience collecting the stuff) to take home after the trip. Seemingly unfortunate was a serious lack of cargo space in our trunk, due to an extra passenger with a huge duffel bag.

Got lucky right away Saturday morning while buying some live blue crabs for dinner - the crab lady(actually she is a supersweet person) let me rake out some fresh seagrass that had washed up into the boat launch area. I put about forty pounds in a super-duper-heavy duty garbage bag and threw it in the trunk. By the way, she invited me to haul off a truckload anytime - serious problem for her marina, especially in the summertime. Stopped on a stretch of beach near Mustang Island State Park and loaded another 30 pounds of beach seaweed(sargassum?) into a different super-duper bag. Just hoped I could fit both bags after packing everything up the next day. Everything was hunky dory!

After a wonderful crab dinner that night, my lovely wife took the kids to get ice cream, and the proverbial poop hit the fan. The whole car had a nasty nauseating stench, obviously from my "catch." The kids held their noses and threw out my two bags of green stuff, and the boss told me I was crazy to put the stuff in her trunk. So of course the first thing next morning I put each bag inside another super-duper heavy duty bag(official Travis County titanium issue) and sealed them tightly. While packing the trunk for the trip home, I tried to sneak them in, but got busted because it took so long for me to stuff everything in and get the trunk lid closed. "But I double-bagged them, darlin" got me a look of utter hopelessness, and we headed on home, somehow my island treasure still with us.

You know how this story ends, right? After an uneventful 3 hour ride home, I opened the trunk to unload and almost passed out from the smell. The stench had permeated everthing, including suitcase and duffel bags. Of course my wife was ecstatic.....

Anyway, I spread the obviously powerful stuff on a bed I'll be using for tomatoes next spring. I can still smell the stuff through a foot of shredded leaves! Sorry for the rambling, just a little excited about new ideas...

Comments (2)