SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sushipup1

New to the East Coast.... what is this?

sushipup1
7 years ago

My first 18 years I lived in Memphis, then Arizona, Colorado and 40++ years in California, Now we are in the Philadelphia area. I see some things that are not uncommon and I don't know the meaning of. Can you explain? Even my native-local DIL doesn't know the reasons for these.

1) Lights in windows. Huh? Little light arrangements in front windows?

2) Large (12-18", I'd guess) 5-pointed stars on exterior walls. This is not Texas... is there an explanation?

Sign me,

Confused.

Comments (52)

• beaglesdoitbetter
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

The stars are BarnStars: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Barnstar

From Wikipedia:

A barnstar (or barn star, primitive star, or Pennsylvania star) is a decorative painted object or image, often in the shape of a five-pointed star but occasionally in a circular "wagon wheel" style, used to adorn a barn in some parts of the United States, and many rural homes in Canada. They have no structural purpose, but may be considered lucky, akin to a horseshoe mounted over a doorway.[1] They are especially common in Pennsylvania and frequently seen in German-American farming communities.

Barnstars were meant to represent the mark of the builder, but became more frequently used for aesthetic purposes and were added to the building after construction was complete.[2][3]Enthusiasts have traced a number of wooden barnstars to individual builders in the Pennsylvania area, where numerous examples can still be seen.[4]

Barnstars were used in the United States during the 18th century and as late as 1870 in Pennsylvania, where their popularity increased greatly following the Civil War. Their regular use preceded that time, however, and stars were commonplace on large buildings, particularly factories, in pre-war Richmond, Virginia.[1]

Barnstars remain a popular form of decoration, and modern houses are sometimes decorated with simple, metal, five-pointed stars which the makers describe as "barn-stars".[5] They are often deliberately distressed or rusted, alluding to the traditional decoration.

sushipup1 thanked beaglesdoitbetter
  • Nothing Left to Say
    7 years ago

Are the stars on old masonry buildings? If so, they are probably structural.

http://bluecollarworkman.com/what-are-the-metal-stars-on-the-side-of-buildings-for/

I don't know about the lights in the Windows. We lived in the DC area for years and I never particularly noticed those (except as Christmas decorations).

sushipup1 thanked Nothing Left to Say
  • Related Discussions

Coast Redwood on the East Coast?

Q

Comments (9)
    There are a couple in Washington D.C. growing in peoples yards. The hardiest variety is "Swarthsmore Hardy", and it what developed in PA. I think they are sold at forestfarm. Giant Sequoia does better in the east because they can handle drier soil conditions here, there are also a bunch in D.C. and a large one in PA. However the best redwood for the east is the Dawn Redwood, very hardy and was once native to the east coast. Can grow 200+ feet and does so at relatively fast rate. www.coldstreamfarm.com has good sized sequoias and dawn redwoods for cheap prices check them out. Thats where i got mine.
    ...See More

60 Degrees expected in New York City/ East Coast Stunningly Warme

Q

Comments (22)
    Hello Everyone, I think we hit 70 here yesterday, but of course i was out working in the northeast. Newark!!! It was nice there, but i wish i was here in Vb to have this wonderful warmth!! How have you all been? I feel like it has been a long time since i have seen you all... Hey Greg, How are you!!! I have a request from a friend to post a pic of those huge Ponderosa Lemons again. The ones that your wife were holding and we were laughing about how many lemon bars you all could make? Could you possibly find that one for me? Thanks!!! Miss you too! Hey Jim, How are you doing? Weather alright? How are you protected gardens? Alex, So nice to see you too! How are your trees? Plumeria? V, They ae ready whenever you want to come down. I can always cut and put into large bags.... let me know!!! Brian, i miss taking to you...i sent a few emails to your old account and it was alot of info...we need to just sit down or pick up the phone..to much stuff happening now.. but please email me so we can keep in touch..i miss you!!! Hey Chad!! How are you? Lots of things going on here in VB.. Remember some of you all knew that my daughter had to have a Open Heart Surgery to have her Aoratic Valve replaced. That went well...but they gave her 5 years to have kids before she had to undergo another Open heart OP to have a mech valve out in. So...guess what? After 6 mts of trying and the doc saing to wait until 6 mts..she is going to have a little one...Yikes..imm going to be a granny...gheesh..did i say that. ,lol It will be wonderful, but very scary!! Any helpful advise will be greatly appreciated!!! Sorry i have been MIA...i have been soooo busy!!! work, family issues... Thanks for the emails form you all! I certainly appreciated them!!! Mahalo, Laura Everyone doing well?
    ...See More

Stickley 43% Off on east coast--how much discounted onwest coast?

Q

Comments (1)
    Through the month of April Stickley is 20-40% off at Edman Fine Furniture in Eugene / Bend Oregon. Here is a link that might be useful: Edman Fine Furniture
    ...See More

New build Natural Style Pool NJ with East Coast Pool Concpets

Q

Comments (32)
    jhmjr, Sorry for the delayed response. I actually made a completely different thread for the final product. Here are the pics and a youtube video for you: We opened up the Pool June 24th, and thouroughly enjoyed the pool the entire summer. East Coast Pool Concepts out of Manalapan NJ did an incredible job from start to finish. I would HIGHLY recommend them for anyone considering a pool in NJ/NY/PA area. I cannot say enough about the quality job these guys did, the attention to detail, and the follow up. Even after the job was done, and I finished my payments, they were still checking up with me and stopping by to make sure all was going well. They build a great pool, they are great to work with and they stand by their work. Here is a youtube video of our pool: Natural Style Pool CNJ by East Coast Pool Concepts Here are the completed pics of our pool: Here is the before pic:
    ...See More
  • lakeerieamber
    7 years ago

The stars are a popular Americana decor. Sometimes they are called barn stars, primitive stars, or Pennsylvania stars. I see them often in Ohio - especially in rural areas.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Barnstar

I have not seen light arrangements in windows, only the single candle-look lamps.

sushipup1 thanked lakeerieamber
  • sushipup1
    Original Author
    7 years ago

There are plenty of old buildings in the area, but this is mainly post WWII suburban homes. Maybe there is only one light in the windows (maybe more), but yes, candle-looking. Thanks for the Barn Star explanations.

• lakeerieamber
    7 years ago

Candles in the windows is an old colonial-era tradition. It is seen in this area most often around Christmas. Traditionally they were meant as a way to welcome guests but now people just do it because they like how it looks.

sushipup1 thanked lakeerieamber
  • Nancy in Mich
    7 years ago

When I lived on the East coast in the 1980s, it was still just a Christmas thing. I can see why it spread, though, as a colonial house looks so nice with welcoming candles out. The newer battery electric candles and now LED ones make it ever more easy and practical.

Question: does it remain mostly a wintertime practice for those long, dark nights? Do people still turn on these candles in warm weather? Palimpsest, your examples blew my mind!

sushipup1 thanked Nancy in Mich
  • seagrass_gw Cape Cod
    7 years ago

We had friends who built a 2 story house near Concord, MA who had the electrician put an outlet directly below every single window facing the street so she could plug in candles in each of the windows. This was before battery operated candles. We had an older 2 story colonial at that time, and had a mess of extension cords for ours. It's a pretty look in the winter.

sushipup1 thanked seagrass_gw Cape Cod
  • Annegriet
    7 years ago

I think it must be a colonial thing.

sushipup1 thanked Annegriet
  • sushipup1 thanked My3dogs ME zone 5A
  • Rory (Zone 6b)
    7 years ago

I see the star on Amish buildings driving through rural Ohio.

sushipup1 thanked Rory (Zone 6b)
  • shadylady2u
    7 years ago

I've lived in Philly most of my life and I usually only see lights at Christmas time. Some leave them in just because they like the look, but no official meaning.

I've not seen stars tho.

sushipup1 thanked shadylady2u
  • tfitz1006
    7 years ago

Some people in my north jersey neighborhood do the candle in the window thing all year long. It is pretty. I always took it to mean "welcome", like the pineapple motif.

sushipup1 thanked tfitz1006
  • palimpsest
    7 years ago

I think the year round window candle thing in Philadelphia is a personal and neighborhood kind of thing that is not overly widespread but I've not seen in anywhere else with same regularity as I've seen it here.

The two extreme examples I gave were in suburbs on the Main Line.

Sillites is a company that makes UL listed outlets that can be mounted horizontally coming out on the sill, so there must be a market for it. They have been talked about in here but most people use them as supplemental outlets in kitchens for various places.

• hhireno
    7 years ago

I live 60 miles north and a little west of Philadelphia. This town was settled by Moravians. Many, many people follow the Moravian tradition of a candle in the window for Xmas, a few people do it year round. It's one of the few Xmas time traditions I like, extra light during the dark winter months is a-ok with me. In my neighborhood, 75% probably do the Xmas candles and 4 homes keep them lit year round.

I first noticed a proliferation of barn stars on suburban homes about 15 years ago. I have one neighbor who added a barn star around then, I suppose that's why I noticed them. Another neighbor has a Pa Dutch Hex sign on their garage peak, but it's been there since they built the house in the late 60's. Barn stars on suburban houses are more popular (if that's the right term) than hex signs in this area.

It's not uncommon to have a regular lamp in the middle of feature window. I imagine there are 2 arm chairs on either side of a table holding the lamp, or that's what I've noticed in homes with window lamps. At Xmas, there is much drama about reorganizing the living room to get the tree in the front window.

eta: In 2007 I was looking for lighting in a showroom. They offered a candle that was built right into a window sill. The candle just slide onto the gizmo in the sill so you didn't need additional outlets or have cords all over. I guess there was/is a market for that sort of thing. I do know more than one person who added an outlet below each window when building a new home.

• Boopadaboo
    7 years ago

My parents live in PA. (Not near a city) they do the candles in the winter. I always loved it.

The last neighborhood I lived in in NY State was a colonial development. Most houses pretty much the same with slight differences to lay out or the front facade. Many of the houses had the candles year round. I always wanted to do it but the review of the battery candles were not that great and they were kind of expensive (of course not $15k! :) )

Now I moved and I would love to do it but I have a colonial that is different and on the front is this big window. I think it would look nice to put the 4 candles up there, but unlike my last house that had a similar window this one is up two stories. :( I think it might be odd or hard to maintain.

• maire_cate
    7 years ago

I've
    lived here for 43 years and with the exception of Christmas candles or a
    menorah I've never seen a lighted arrangements in window. However
    things are different in South Philly - try parking in the middle of the
    street in any other part of town.

Sushi - I've been meaning to ask
    you about your big transition from the West Coast to East? You've been
    here now for how long - 2 years? I know you're closer to family so
    that's a big plus but I'm curious what your thoughts are about living
    here. Has anyone said that you have an accent? When I moved here from
    the Pittsburgh area several people that I worked with at the Free
    Library said that I had one. I wasn't aware of it but I was definitely
    aware of the Philly one. Have you traveled around the area - Lancaster,
    the Poconos, NYC, the shore? Any major disappointments, surprises,
    revelations?

Maire

• sushipup1
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Thanks for asking. And thanks to all who offered insight into my question. We will have been here 1 year tomorrow, and in our house since late May. No comments on accent, I probably have a slight Southern tinge to my pronunciations. We've been to NYC once, on a bus trip to Chelsea Market with a fantastic boat tour all around Manhattan with an architect who pointed out all the buildings. Haven't gone too far otherwise. Had been to Lancaster area et al on previous visits. Didn't see much to make us want to go back. I'd like to go back to Gettysburg, but Jim is more neutral. Poconos? Haven't been, what is there? Remember, we come from the land of Big Sur and Yosemite and the Sierras, so we know mountains. ;-) We are more interested in the events in the city. Hope to get to the watercolor exhibit at the Art Museum. I want to drive up to New Hope for lunch some day. Since we are close to a lot of open space like Morris Arboretum, Erdenheim Farm and bunches of golf courses, I don't feel too closed in. If we go over towards Abington (most doctors seem to be in that area), I feel the more crowded landscape more. Know what I mean? Not real city like Philadelphia or San Francisco, not really suburban, either.

We do love the area, So many of our neighbors have lived in the same neighborhood/township all their lives. But we have been warmly welcomed by all. We are blocks from Chestnut Hill, and have some favorite restaurants in the area. Services are wonderful. We don't miss the rain in CA, not this year. Can't believe that we landed in such a wonderful neighborhood. We have sidewalks and everyone walks their dogs and there's a lot of socializing. Very friendly.

Thanks for asking. We should try lunch some day. Have GPS, can travel!

• dedtired
    7 years ago

It seems like barn stars became very popular within the last few years. I used to see them out in Lancaster County along with hex signs on barns. I really dislike them on anything else. One of my neighbors had one and it made the house look like it had a bullet hole in its forehead. The new owners took it down first thing. As for the candles, yes, it is a Colonial Christmas thing and they should, but don't always, come down after Christmas. South Philadelphia, as Maire says, is a world of its own and picture window displays are common in the homes of longtime residents.

Sushi, we are only 20 minutes away from each other. I want in on the lunch with Maire Cate.

• shadylady2u
    7 years ago

Poconos: mountains, ski resorts and camp grounds.

I'm not too far from Chestnut Hill.

• palimpsest
    7 years ago

I think a Pittsburgh or Western PA Western NY accent would be more noticeable to people here than a California or West Coast accent, which is more neutral in comparison. (I have a Western PA, not quite Pittsburgh accent, but when I go back there people say I have gotten one from here).

The interesting thing about Philadelphia is that it is one of those cities that has several accents that are distinct from each other depending upon what neighborhood you live in. If you are from the Northeast you definitely have a different accent than South Philadelphia.

sushipup1 thanked palimpsest
  • deegw
    7 years ago

I lived in the South for twenty plus years and my Western NY accent has faded but it is still noticeable. When I visit home I always think, "Wow, this accent is HARSH".

When we were kids in upstate NY, my Mom did picture window displays for holidays. We lived in a very modest split level. When we moved to a colonial she didn't have a good window for displays. I occasionally see year round window candles in the South but it isn't very common.

• dedtired
    7 years ago

Ha. I remember meeting a guy from Texas who said the women in Philadelphia sound like truck drivers.

The Philadelphia accent is one of the most studied and unique regional accents in the country. One of the top linguists, William Labov, is at the U of PA (located in West Philadelphia). He has studied and reported on the accent extensively.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Philadelphia_English

My ex husband came from western PA. When we met here, the way he said water was so funny to me. He said Waaahter and I said Wooder.

sushipup1 thanked dedtired
  • beaglesdoitbetter
    7 years ago

Pocanos- I adore the Lodge at Woodloch. One of the nicest spa experiences I've ever had. http://www.thelodgeatwoodloch.com 

We also enjoy white water rafting there.

We went to Gettysburg about 2 years ago. It was fine. I wouldn't go back.

We like Valley Forge National Park. Very nice place to walk / spend the day.

Our neighbors do the candles in the window year round including in summer. When we built our house, the electrician asked us if we wanted the plugs installed to do the candles w/ a master switch. I thought it was weird, esp. b/c the way our house is set up on the top of a hill in the woods, the front of our house is not visible from the street for most of the year (our neighbor who has the candles has a much more visible front).

sushipup1 thanked beaglesdoitbetter
  • maire_cate
    7 years ago

Sushi - glad to hear that you're so pleased with your new home. I've been here long enough to be aware of the 'second class city' feeling that so many Philadelphians have when they compare Philly to NYC, Boston or DC. I even think I was a little concerned that you might feel you were disappointed in your new surroundings.

Dedtired - you are so right about Waahter and Wooder. Hey - I'm ready for lunch any time - I can even cross the river to join you!

I'd know if you were from the Pittsburgh area if you said gumband for rubber band, pop for soda, chipped ham for thinly sliced deli ham, jaggers for thorns, jumbo for bologna and my all time favorite - worsh up - meaning wash your hands.

MC

sushipup1 thanked maire_cate
  • Fori
    7 years ago

Hehe, Crl! Yes, to me the stars mean it's slightly less likely to come down in an earthquake but don't count on it.

Where I live, candles mean Christmas and barnstars mean faux Texas.

sushipup1 thanked Fori
  • deegw
    7 years ago

marie - you forget yinz, the Pittsburgh version of y'all! I went to college in Western PA. I thought the kids from Pittsburgh sounded like they came from a foreign country :)

sushipup1 thanked deegw
  • hhireno
    7 years ago

I remember meeting a guy from Texas who said the women in Philadelphia sound like truck drivers.

I hope he wasn't trying to pick you up...worst pick up line ever! Unless it worked.

sushipup1 thanked hhireno
  • dedtired
    7 years ago

I can't remember! I know I never saw him again. I did not tell him how Texans sound to us.

sushipup1 thanked dedtired
  • eastautumn
    7 years ago

I'm from the east coast (DC suburb) but only ever saw the candles in windows for the holiday season. I love them and use the battery operated, flickering LED candles in our windows.

Very interesting to read about the history of "barn stars," which I had no idea started back east in the 18th century. I never noticed them until a few years ago when they became very trendy as decor on the outside of houses where I live now in CO. I thought maybe someone on HGTV must have made them popular because for awhile there they were popping up like weeds. I still see them, but not as many new ones lately.

sushipup1 thanked eastautumn
  • maire_cate
    7 years ago

d-gw - I'd forgotten about yinz. Neither of my parents were native Pittsburghers and I grew up in a suburb so I managed to escape most of the words and phrases that made some of the locals sound like a rube.

sushipup1 thanked maire_cate
  • arcy_gw
    7 years ago

Barn stars are on their way out and barn quilt squares are taking their place.

sushipup1 thanked arcy_gw
  • User
    7 years ago

I love the turn this post took. My grandparents on my mothers side were from central/western PA and I'd forgotten the way they said "yinz." I remember they pronounced it more like "you-ins" to me, but either way....remembering it reminded me of them and made me smile. Thank you.

sushipup1 thanked User
  • Kitchenwitch111
    7 years ago

My sister lives in Chestnut Hill - such a nice area. I live near New Hope. Lets do lunch sometime.

sushipup1 thanked Kitchenwitch111
  • sushipup1
    Original Author
    7 years ago

OK, I'll throw down the challenge for lunch. I can do weekdays or weekends, but Sunday is when a lot of people go out. And Saturday also gets the 'brunch' crowds. And I'll suggest Iron Hill on 309 in North Wales (English Village shopping center near Trader Joe's and Kitchen Kapers). Food is good and there is parking, easy access by major roads turnpike to 309). We have been to the one in Chestnut Hill.

Date?

• User
    7 years ago

The candle lights are a Colonial/primitive country thing and the large stars on everything are also used by those who enjoy the primitive country look.

sushipup1 thanked User
  • beaniebakes
    7 years ago

I live in a rural area in upstate NY and, like many other people in this region and throughout New England, have candle lights in my windows year round. I also have lights in the window boxes from December through March or April. Around here, the last official day of frost is mid-May, and early Spring can be pretty bleak. The lights are so pretty and inviting, especially when arriving home late at night.

sushipup1 thanked beaniebakes
  • l pinkmountain
    7 years ago

Poconos = good hiking, canoeing on the Delaware and some golfing if you are into that. But where you live, I can't imagine needing to drive all the way up there for golf. I rarely went up to the Poconos when I lived right near there. Very touristy. Outlet malls, yawn, but whatever floats your boat, some folks love them. One thing that might be fun to do in the fall is one of the wine tours. Always wanted to do that. Deerhead Inn, great food, great jazz club. Never stayed there, but the town of Delaware Water Gap is cute. I know there are some nice spas there too, but unfortunately I never got to visit one. Always wanted to do a mother/daughter spa weekend with my mom, :(

sushipup1 thanked l pinkmountain
  • diane_nj 6b/7a
    7 years ago

No one can guess my accent (not much of one, and certainly not typical NE Philly/Frankford) until I say "wooder". ;-)

sushipup1 thanked diane_nj 6b/7a
  • mabeldingeldine
    7 years ago

Sushipup, I can't make lunch in PA, but if you ever head north, you let me know, we'll have lobstah!

sushipup1 thanked mabeldingeldine
  • sushipup1
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Thanks! I fondly remember your visit to the West Coast and our fun dinner together! Maybe we'll come your way!

• mabeldingeldine
    7 years ago

I hope you do, we would love to host you! That trip was wonderful, we are planning another soon.

sushipup1 thanked mabeldingeldine
  • jerseygirl_1
    7 years ago

Diane I grew up in NE Philly. Went to NE high. Sushi it may be easier to met in Center City than North Wales. I met my Montgomery county friends there for lunch.

sushipup1 thanked jerseygirl_1
  • jerseygirl_1
    7 years ago

*meet.

sushipup1 thanked jerseygirl_1
  • sushipup1
    Original Author
    7 years ago

I'd prefer a place where I can drive to and park for free, thanks for the suggestion, tho.

• maire_cate
    7 years ago

jerseygirl - I was a reference librarian at the Northeast Regional Library for a few years. It's a small world because now we're both on the same side of the river and if I remember correctly our towns share a border.

Maire

• jerseygirl_1
    7 years ago

Marie, I live in Rancocas Pointe at Centerton and Creek Rd., physically right on the border with Moorestown. Laurel Creek is across the road. If I remember correctly, we both belonged to Virtua Health and Fitness. Do you still?

Sushi, I suggested Center City because many on both sides NJ and PA use the train to get into town. It's very easy. Not sure if you have experienced our train system yet.

• l pinkmountain
    7 years ago

Jealous about the Meet-Up! I used to live fifteen minutes from where Sushi lives now. We just missed each other! I just wanted to add that I think these star thing goes into neighborhoods. I just noticed one neighborhood on my daily commute that has several star houses. I think it might become a "keeping up with the Joneses" thing. One person does it, their neighbors see it and think it looks nice, so they do it, etc. I know there is one region of MI that I used to visit occasionally for work, and we joked that there must have been a "house initials" salesman with a beat there, because every other house had one it seemed.

• hhireno
    7 years ago

Speaking of house initials, you can still see the ghost of the initial that was on my SIL's house before she divorced. The funny thing is she reverted to her maiden name, which is the same initial. I never asked her but I've always been curious - did her ex actually take it when he left? Did she just not like it so she removed it? Can she see the ghost outline?

• maire_cate
    7 years ago

jerseygirl - yes I still go to Virtua- I really like the water exercise classes but I'm really disappointed that they're closing the pool May 1st to replace the decking and re-do the pool locker rooms. I may have to go to Voorhees.