SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ccny20

Help!! Newly planted Rhody dying!!

CCNY20
11 years ago

Hi,

I recently planted 5 small PJM Rhododendron bushes (about 2 ft tall each) in big masonry containers in the front of my building.

4 are in one box, and doing really well, and 1 is in another box with an unidentified tree (but tons of root space) and appears to be dying.

Symptoms: full branches of leaves are curling up and falling off. This started from the bottom and inside, moving towards the top of the bush and in only a few weeks I've lost half the shrub.

There is no new growth where I've pinched off, while on the other 4 plants, there is tons of new growth.

When the leaves are in the process of curling up, they don't feel parched or dried out, but a bit wet and limp. Doesn't look like there are any spots of fungus or holes from bugs.

Possible issues:

- too much sun? It gets about 20 minutes more direct sun than others, but maybe only 2 hours a day max. would this cause the issue?

- bad drainage or fungus in the container? if this was the case, then wouldn't this affect the tree that's in the same container? ...I also followed a tip I found on GW and tried to pour 1 tsp of Apple Cider Vinegar mixed with a gallon or so of water in the soil to kill anything just in case, but it's been a week and even more is falling off.

- not enough root space? the 4 are more cramped and seem to be doing well

did I add too much Holly-tone when I planted? Should I dig up the soil and replace it?

- not enough water? don't want to drown it, but I will if it might help?

- dog pee? don't think so because dogs pee everywhere, and other 4 are doing well

....Please help! I really want all 5 bushes to match, and don't want to lose this guy so early in the game!

Thanks in advance for any tips!!

Comments (5)

Sponsored
Haus Studio
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars28 Reviews
Franklin County's Preferred Custom Cabinetry & Design Studio