SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
smlechten

Beginner Mistake with my marigolds, correction???

smlechten
14 years ago

It seems in my haste to sow every possible container I had, I chose to use the bottom of a seed starting house I had (with it's lid). Had vent holes, clear plastic lid, tall lid to allow for a bit of upward growth, and was large enough for a lot of marigold seeds. I have just realized, now that it's sprouted and has rained for the past 3 days, that the tray has no drainage holes. Not really sure how that escaped me. I'm thinking of using a large spatula (or possibly a flexible cutting board) to scoop out my sopping wet soil with sprouts in tact and place it on top of additional dryer soil in a new container (one with drainage and vent holes). It seems logical enough, and I'm not envisioning problems other than the need to move slowly with care during the transfer process. Can anyone think of something that I may be missing, that would make this not a great idea?

I don't want to plant out yet - one because of time - I'm cleaning up and preparing to go away for week, two because our last average frost date is April 15, so I think I may be a bit premature, and 3 because it's really wet here so I haven't been able to work and tidy the garden and prepare it for planting yet. I can do a border around the outside of the garden, but I had planned to use the plants between and around my tomatoes and peppers. These are marigold 'Golden Guardian' hybrid from Park Seed, that theoretically provide the best nematode protection. It's still really wet and muddy here, even though my hilltop garden drains well and isn't as bad as some low lying areas in the yard. I hate to plant out now in the muck, plus it will make preparing the garden more difficult if I have to work around young tender plants already in place. Thanks for the input.

I have pictures - but still do not know how to post them in a message. I read the instructions, it said during message preview there would be a place to upload your file. I don't see that at all, just the link boxes and I don't know how to imbed a picture using a link address. Someday I need to find the technical instructions for these forums. Maybe I should be in "gallery" view mode?

Sherri

Comments (7)

Sponsored