SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
bayareafrancy

Some basic beginner sock (on dpns) questions

bayareafrancy
15 years ago

Hi there.

I have started my first sock--a simple stockinette sock. I have finished an inch of k2p2 ribbing, and about an inch of the leg.

I am NOT having fun with these dpns yet, but hopefully that will come. (The ribbing was especiallly awful, though I really enjoy the rhythm of ribbing on flat objects and am pretty fast at it.)

I think I have already made some mistakes. I'm not sure my mistakes will matter much, since my basic pattern isn't so dependent on row numbers and stitch count (is it??).

But I'm hoping someone can explain why my mistakes are in fact mistakes--because when I did them, they seemed to make things easier.

The Join:

I am following 2 different online sock tutorials. On the first one, she uses 3 needles, and then joins them using needle number 4. I tried this, and it was very clumsy, loose, and difficult. So I checked my other tutorial to make sure I was doing it right. She joins the same way, but I misread hers as instructing me to join with ONLY the 3 original needles (use the working yarn to knit/transfer one stitch to its neighbor needle). Voila! A joined triangle. I counted this as k1, and then used the fourth needle to proceed in the standard fashion with k,p,p,k,k,p,p, etc.

Why was this wrong (assuming it is--I can find no reference to joining this way when I google, so I assume it is "wrong.")? It seemed to work well.

Avoiding ladders:

Tightening my stitches at junctions wasn't working too well. I googled, and found various ways of migrating stitches, but they didn't make sense to me. So, I basically migratd using the same principle that I used to join. Every few rows, at each junction, I knitted (or purled) one stitch without the fourth needle (thus transferring it to its neighbor needle). The I proceeded with needle number 4 in the mix.

Is this wrong? I see that my tail is no longer at the end of a needle--it is several stitches in. So I'm thinking that when I get to the heel (and I want my needles to match the photo), I'll just rearrange all my stitches so that they are on the "correct" needles by scooting them all over a few stitches.

I hope these questions/issues make sense.

Can anyone offer any clarification on why my methods are not advisable? (Again, I'm assuming they are "wrong" because I can find no reference to them online.)

Thank very much!

Francy

Comments (8)

Sponsored
More Discussions