SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
highergroundgardens

Perlite vs Pumice vs BioChar

Aloha,
1) Performance: I am interested in perlite alternatives, particularly BioChar and/or Pumice (or any other materials if you have any suggestions). I'd like to know how each one compares to the others regarding performance in organic gardening.

2) Sustainability: I'm also interested in the sustainability aspect of each material; I live on the island of Oahu, so the question of the "most sustainable" product will likely come down to which I can source locally, but are there other considerations to make when choosing which of the materials is most sustainable?

3) Vermiculite?: Lastly, I know how Perlite compares to Vermiculite, but what about how Pumice & BioChar compare to Vermiculite?

I know these questions are full, but I'm hoping for a healthy discussion on the topic as there are many factors and opinions. Thanks GW!

PS: I'd like to find local Pumice, but I far as I know the volcanic rock on the hawaiian islands is mostly cinder (which has little organic gardening uses?) as opposed to pumice (which comes from eruptions like Mount St. Helens). If I am wrong about this or anyone knows where to find Pumice on the Hawaiian islands please send info, thanks!

Comments (8)