SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jenniferny_gardener

New Raised Bed Garden

This past spring I built a 28' x 16' Raised Bed Garden out of 2 x 12's with a 2' wide aisle up the middle. Due to weather and my health I did not finish it until July 20th. I planted the seedlings that I had grown anyway, adding 20 bags of manure I bought at Home Depot on one side, where I planted the Tomato Plants. Three of the Brandywine's reached 6'3" and set a lot of fruit but because of the late planting I did not get much ripe fruit. The plants on the other side of the garden did OK, but not as well as the Tomatoes that had the Manure added.

Now that you have some background here is my Query.

The Topsoil I bought unfortunately looked a lot like a clay/sand mixtire and was a definte light brown/tan color(which is why I added the manure). As soon as the first frost hit and killed the plants I lifted my mulching mower onto the bed and mulched all of the plants and unripe fruit two or three times to get a fine mulch. I then tilled it into the soil using my Mantis. When the leaves fell I raked all my leaves, and my neighbor raked all his onto my Raised Bed(about one foot deep before mulching and I filled & mulched it twice with leaves and I again Mulched them until fine and then tilled them into the soil using the Mantis). I am very new to gardening. Did I do the right thing?? Do I need to do anything else in the spring in the way of soil amendments??

Any and all advice would be greatly appreciated by this novice gardener. Thanks!

Comments (5)