SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
york_rose

Anyone else ever have this sort of problem?

york_rose
13 years ago

Six years ago I transplanted Salet from my parents' house in Philadelphia to my townhouse here north of Boston. It was just a single stem, but had persisted with no care for almost twenty years in horrible (sub)soil (only about six inches above the underlying sandstone parent rock) and in blackspot heaven.

Up until this past winter it's lived and prospered, suffering hardly any winterkill at all (just tips here & there). Late last February we had a really heavy northeaster, with hurricane force winds, which may or may not have caused damage to Salet. In any case, something was different about this past winter because many of the evergreen shrubs in the area on their sides facing the ocean had browned areas they don't usually have.

When the roses came out this spring Salet initially showed no growth at all. That was my first clue something was amiss. Several weeks after the other roses on the property were budding out I finally noticed dormant buds on the bottom halves of most of the canes coming to life & I figured everything was okay. However once it budded up the leaves became chlorotic, and as it tried to open the few buds it produced the oldest leaves yellowed and dropped off, despite fertilization with Garden-Tone. There has been no new growth of any kind since then and now the youngest leaves are yellowing and looking to fall off.

It looks to me as though Salet is spending its last gasp in an attempt to put out one final flower flush, and then die.

:(

If you live in the Northeast, do you have thoughts about what to do with a rose in this condition?

It's disheartening because this rose in particular up to now has put up with really nasty growing conditions, and has survived in spite of that and gone on to thrive.

Comments (6)

Sponsored
Buckeye Basements, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars31 Reviews
Central Ohio's Basement Finishing ExpertsBest Of Houzz '13-'21