SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
paddykevin

Paddy Planters: Leaf Litter Piles - Multi Functional?

paddykevin
15 years ago

I would like to see if anyone can punch some holes in my latest idea. I live outside of Buffalo, NY in zone 6.

We had some bad wind storms with many downed trees. I took a bunch of these and, similar to Lincoln Logs, built some bins by laying the logs across one another. Total height of the sides is three feet.

The first thing I put into the unit was potted up spring bulbs. This was followed by pine straw, then leaves on top until the bin unit was filled. Although the potted bulbs are not dug into the ground, I thought that the great amount of leaves on top of them might make it would out the same.

Then I came up with another idea. On the top I out some flower pots, filled them with potting soil, and planted pansies inside the pots. In early March I can lift the pots, move the leaves, and bring the potted bulbs inside.

Over the growing season these log cabin kind of compost bins can be filled again and planted with summer crops. The open sides encourage aearation.

Actually, I started doing this in the Spring and it worked out great for some flowers in shaded areas where tree roots prevented much digging into the ground. What I did here was, after filling the units with leaves thatfolks cleared out of their yards in the spring, topped them off with potting soil and planted the flowers in this one inch or so layer of soil. It worked great

Comment (1)