SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
north_ca_rose

Climber recommendation for arbor

north_ca_rose
12 years ago

Do you have any climber recommendations for a 8 foot high by 3 foot deep arbor? Currently New Dawn is growing on the arbor, and based on the rose's performance, I'm thinking of replacing it. This is the third year I've had New Dawn, and while I get lots of blooms, only a few in late summer are those perfect pink pointed blooms. Most are what I call muddled and are white with some red streaks.

I'm looking for a pink rose with good foliage that would do well in a warmer northern Ca climate.

Thanks,

Karen

Comments (41)

• roseseek
    12 years ago

Karen, here are three very fragrant, nearly continuous flowering, thornless suggestions.

Renae http://www.helpmefind.com/rose/l.php?l=2.5185

Annie Laurie McDowell http://www.helpmefind.com/rose/l.php?l=2.32672

Pink Gate http://www.helpmefind.com/gardening/l.php?l=2.31975

This one is also nearly continuous flowering and very fragrant, though it can have some prickles.

Grandmother's Hat http://www.helpmefind.com/gardening/l.php?l=2.3096

Of course, my favorite of them is Annie Laurie McDowell. It has all the great attributes of the rest and can always be dead headed with a hose. Kim

• jerijen
    12 years ago

Where in NoCal are you located??? It matters!

I'd recommend Crepuscule, or Reve d'Or, or maybe Lamarque -- but the first two might not do as well if you are in a cool, coastal zone.

Grandmother's Hat is one of our all-time favorite roses, but it is more upright than climbing for us.

Another suggestion would be Secret Garden Musk Climber, if you can find a source. One of the most fragrant roses I know, does not rust or mildew, and repeats well through the year.

Jeri

• Related Discussions

Help me choose another arbor climber?

Q

Comments (4)
    Some I was possibly considering: Perhaps I should finally try Crepuscule?? RogueValley lists it as strong rebloom and fragrance and nearly thornless. It's a pale color and a Tea Noisette. A lot of people seem to say it's healthy and vigorous and it would be great if I could get an easy rose that doesn't DIE. haha. Some other ideas;;;;;;; Bouquet d'Or Lamarque Reve dOr Jaune Desprez Elie Beauvillain Cecile Brunner, Cl. (isn't there a reblooming version?) DA's Snow Goose
    ...See More

Recommendation for a nice climber/rambler rose for arbor.

Q

Comments (1)
    Climbing Pinkie, Climbing Old Blush, and Crepuscule are few of my easy care favorites.
    ...See More

Please suggest an annual climber for an arbor...

Q

Comments (5)
    Morning glories should cover your arbor. The thing with morning glories is that they will flower better in poor soil. Don't fertilize them much. I have grown them in the past, but I'm no expert on them. The morning glory I have seen that is the most floriferous, seems to be the heavenly blue. There may be others out there that flower just as profusely, but that is the one I always see around town that is just covered with blossoms. I am growing those this year to cover a chain link fence. Along with a few others.
    ...See More

Climber advice (the arbor)

Q

Comments (5)
    Josephine, you have a nice arbor, and there are lots of different things you can do to grow roses on it, but it would be helpful to know the dimensions, and where you hope to plant the roses. Let me start with this suggestion. You can make both ends look like ladders to weave roses through, like this in- progress arbor: Here are some close-ups to show you how 2 x 4's were used to do this: You can measure between the 4 x 4s on each end of the arbor, and then have Home Depot cut the pieces to size from 2 x 4s -- they've done this for me many times. Have them cut the pieces a tad long so they fit tight. Space the pieces up the 4 x 4s, ladder style, leaving big enough spaces to weave your roses through. The pieces of 2 x 4 should fit tight enough to stay in place. Once spaced, you can toe nail them in with long, thin screws so that no hardware shows. You can then grow two roses on each end: a short climber to weave up the side, and a tall climber to weave across the top. If you're hoping for something simpler, or plan to grow your roses somewhere other than the two ends, I'm happy to offer other suggestions. jannike. . . . Visits to Humpty Dumpty House facebook during this difficult time are greatly appreciated. If you like our gardens, please give us a page "like". This simple act can help get our gardens reopened during my absence due to an injury. https://www.facebook.com/HumptyDumptyHouse https://www.facebook.com/HumptyDumptyHouse
    ...See More
  • north_ca_rose
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I live in the Livermore Amador Valley, which is approximately 40 miles east of San Francisco. Although it does get hot here in the summer, we definitely have some marine influence in the summer and more in the spring, at least enough to be plagued by rust this year.

Any recommendations that might do well in my climate (and not get too large for the trellis) would be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks,
    Karen

• jerijen
    12 years ago

Then, I suspect you'd do fine with Crepuscule or Reve d'Or (the former more a true yellow than the latter).
    Lamarque (lemon white) and Secret Garden Musk Climber (single, white) should work fine for you, too.

All of those are fragrant -- SGMC perhaps the most fragrant of the bunch.

I suggest that you run over to the Sacramento City Cemetery -- it's not that far for you -- and take a look at the climbers there. They've used the Hybrid Musk, 'Cornelia' on a wide arch, and it's pretty spectacular.

If you go South, the San Jose Heritage Rose Garden maintains a magnificent collection of climbing roses on a fence at Santa Clara University, around a facilities and equipment area. If you take a printout of the list of roses and locations, you can see what appeals to you, and what doesn't. Some great roses there!

Jeri

Here is a link that might be useful: Santa Clara Fence Climbers

• organic_tosca
    12 years ago

Karen, if you come over to the Sacramento City Cemetery on a Tuesday or Saturday morning, there are almost always some volunteers there until around noon, and you could get a personally conducted tour!

Laura

• roseseek
    12 years ago

Wonderful suggestions, all, however, the request was for "I'm looking for a pink rose with good foliage that would do well in a warmer northern Ca climate." Due to the fact the arbor is only 3' deep, I'd suspect that prickles might be a determining factor. The Noisettes and Musks are great roses, except they BITE, big time! And, they aren't "pink". Kim

• Embothrium
    12 years ago

Muddled, white and red-streaked does not sound like 'New Dawn'.

• rosefolly
    12 years ago

Muddled does, though.

When I grew mine some years ago I found the bloom to be rather formless most of the time. Only rarely, or perhaps briefly, did I see the lovely form the pictures always show.

Rosefolly

• roseseek
    12 years ago

New Dawn can streak red with dew in high heat. It did here...the few times it flowered. Kim

• north_ca_rose
    Original Author
    12 years ago

It is useful and good to know other people have had similar experiences with New Dawn.

Given that the size of the arbor is relatively small, I was hoping for a rose that could be controlled to fit within the confines of the arbor.

Thanks for your suggestions.
    Karen

• landperson
    12 years ago

Crepuscule is definitely not pink, although she would certainly fit the rest of the criteria.
    I don't think Reve D'Or is pink, either, but more a buff-cream?

Renae would do beautifully!!!!

I haven't grown her myself, but Zepherine Drouhin is pink and thornless and has quite a following.

Susan

• hoovb zone 9 sunset 23
    12 years ago

Pink. Pink...not an OGR, but what about 'Claire Matin'? Good rebloom on that one.

Anyone growing the Kordes 'Jasmina'? OGR look, and very fragrant. Also foliage on the newer Kordes is very good.

Funny, usually pink is the color with the most choices!

Is Rosarium Uetersen too bright? Kim has a stunning photo of that one and would be the one to ask.

• ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9
    12 years ago

I hate to say it but I bought Clair Matin, thinking it was pink, but in warmer climates it's unfortunately not pink at all, but a sort of salmon color. Jasmina is a rose I had but I gave it to a rose friend, who gave it to another rose friend in a cooler garden, since for us the blooms were fleeting and for me actually the rose didn't thrive at all. It all depends on your climate and how cool it is for much of the year.

Peggy Martin and Cl. Pinkie come to mind as suitable climbers. I have Cl. Pinkie in a much less than optimal spot with morning shade and I'm quite happy with it although it does mildew a bit in the spring in my location. With morning sun I think it would be fine. I'm growing mine as a wide bush which is leaning against a house arch.

Ingrid

• roseseek
    12 years ago

Karen, this is guaranteed to generate responses...but, New Dawn is primarily useful for extreme conditions. Extreme meaning COLD HARDY. How cold, I have no idea, because, fortunately for me, my worst issue with winter protection is to keep them watered, dead headed and trimmed down so the winds don't rock them loose from the soil. If you read the majority of the posts praising New Dawn, they're from climates with shorter growing/flowering seasons with more extreme winter conditions than many of us experience.

I blame a good portion of the bad experiences with ND on Peter Beales and Thomas' books which promote it as "one of our most useful, shorter, repeat flowering climbers". Well, it CAN be, in the right climate, but in longer, hotter ones, it is down right awful. Mildew to beat the band, muddled, shapless, ugly colored flowers and it must be dead headed to get repeat flowers. Not an easy job considering how huge it can get in a longer climate. Not that it's a "bad rose", but definitely not one for milder climates where there are MANY better choices. Kim

• jerijen
    12 years ago

Susan, Zephirine Drouhan is said to have mildew problems in much of CA. I wouldn't be surprised if that was true, because the Good Lord knows, most Bourbons do.

If pink is needed, I'd avoid her, and go back to Kim's original suggestion of Renae.
    Or perhaps the HM, 'Cornelia.'
    And I stand by my suggestion of Reve d'Or, which is often quite peachy -- CLOSE to pink. :-)

Jeri

• landperson
    12 years ago

Well, I'd say it all comes down to
    Renae
    Renae
    Renae
    or
    Renae.......:-))))))

Here is a link that might be useful: Renae at HMF

• roseseek
    12 years ago

Larger flowers on an arbor can be quite lovely. How important will keeping it dead headed be? How easily will dead heading be to accomplish? If it's important and you hate bleeding as much as I do, Renae or Annie Laurie McDowell. Neither will bite. Both are pink and fragrant. Both flower incessantly. Both are quite healthy and easily trained and both can easily be dead headed with a garden hose. Easy? Kim

• luxrosa
    12 years ago

I forgot to add
    -cl. "le Vesuve" a rapidly repeating pink climbing China rosebush. It is in stock this month (july 2011) at roguevalleyroses.com
    an advantage to growing China and Tea rosebushes (and Noisettes) is that they are evergreen in our climate and keep their leaves most of the year.
    "Le Vesuve" will produce an extra bloom cycle in late Autumn and bloom again earlier in spring than most H.T.s and H.P.s can. It is also a good August bloomer here during our month of rose-drought. Because fewer roses bloom in that summer month than in June and July, locally.
    - about dead heading: I've observed that most evergreen roses are self cleaning at the end of the bloom cycle, (with a hard shaking) Perhaps this is because the rose blossoms of these 3 classes have less substance than most H.T.s and H.P.s and therefore dehydrate more quickly, and therefore the petals fall off more easily after a few days. Not all do, but most of the China,Tea and Noisette roses I've known and grown do this.

Luxrosa

• jerijen
    12 years ago

Oh, I sure couldn't knock Cl. White Maman Cochet.
    That's an un-matched treasure of a rose.

Jeri

• erasmus_gw
    12 years ago

My Annie Laurie McDowell plant bloomed for the first time recently and it was beautiful..very lovely color, not washed out but a lovely lavender pink, and the blooms were very soft, romantic, and fragrant. The leaves are spotless so far and it is thornless. I have not planted it in the ground yet so can't comment on how it grows.

It sounds like you are looking for a hybrid tea form since you describe New Dawn as muddled. Here are some other pinks that you might like the form of:

Blossomtime child of New Dawn but pinker and more pointed, prolific bloomer, some rebloom, some bs

Compassion has pink in it, very fragrant, good rebloom

Harlekin not as pointed but great rebloom and fragrance

Parade " not frag, more often has an OGR form , brilliant pink , vigorous

Rosy Mantle new to me but pretty and fragrant

Linda

• spiderlily7
    12 years ago

I've learned so much from this post, and thanks to all for this information. Thanks also to Kim for illuminating why my New Dawn is performing so poorly here in SW Louisiana's heat and humidity. I've decided to ship ND and Compassion to a friend in North Carolina, where they'll both be much happier. Away with the tiny, muddled, balled messes! And I was just thinking about combining Parade, Harlekin and Mme. Gregoire Staechelin on a tripod, with Mme. Alfred Carriere nearby, but I haven't been able to find information on how Parade and Harlekin perform in heat and humidity...

• rosefolly
    12 years ago

Grandmother's Hat is a superb rose, one of the best. However, it supports itself so sturdily as a free-standing shrub, I can't imagine why I would go to the bother of training it as a climber.

Rosefolly

• bluesibe
    12 years ago

Jon of Wessex has Felicia on an arch and it is outstanding to look at. If he see this, maybe he will post a pic.
    Kathleen and Cornelia are other Hybrid Musks that might do.
    a newer rose that would be great is Compassion.

I do think the idea of running down to the Heritage and taking a look at its climbers is a great idea. Also, call Vintage and see what Greg or Gita suggest. Gita suggested Felica to me years ago and it is one fine rose.

• north_ca_rose
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thank you so much for your recommendations. Of all the criteria I might use to select a climber, appropriate size (not house eating) and good foliage are the most important followed by flowers that do not turn white in the heat. I already have cornelia, felicia, and grandmother's hat growing as shrubs in my yard and enjoy them immensely.

I've been a little disappointed with polyanthas (La Marne, The Fairy, Mrs. William Smith) as they seem to turn to white in the summer time. While others ( Mlle Cecile Brunner, Lady Anne Kidwell, and Clotilde Soupert) are good performers in my yard. Does Renae turn to white in heat?

It is also good to know that my experiences with New Dawn are not unique.

Thank you so much for taking the time to reply to my question. I so appreciate your generosity of time in sharing your knowledge and experiences.
    Thanks,
    Karen

• michaelg
    12 years ago

Very interesting to learn that Californians hate New Dawn. Here and over much of the East, upper South, and lower Midwest, it is still one of the best big climbers owing to its blackspot resistance and cane-hardiness to around -15 F.

• jerijen
    12 years ago

Michael -- it mildews nastily here, where blackspot isn't a problem.

Jeri

• hosenemesis
    12 years ago

I love my Pinkie, but it has what I would call "muddled" blooms. It's a darker pink that Renae, and the flowers are looser, but the bloom is magnificent. It blooms for a long time, too. I also have mine on an arbor- about two feet wide and eight feet tall, four feet across.

Here's a pic.

Here is a link that might be useful: Two climbing Pinkies

• roseseek
    12 years ago

hosenemesis, your Cl. Pinkie looks like what Gardendirector Otto Linne does here. Kim

• sherryocala
    12 years ago

Renee, you came to my rescue!!! I have Pinkie, Cl, and she is all over the place with flopping canes. I have been clueless about what to do with her. Without hijacking Karen's thread, can you tell me how your Mom trained her so beautifully? It seems like that would require a lot of whacking and trimming and reducing the number of canes to keep her that close to the arbor. I would love to have mine look like that. I guess I need lessons!

Sherry

Here is a link that might be useful: If only sweat were irrigation...

• hoovb zone 9 sunset 23
    12 years ago

Californians hate New Dawn.

No, it's not that. It's that 'New Dawn' hates California...

And now back to what Karen needs for her arbor.

• roseseek
    12 years ago

hoovb, I think it's a mutual hatred. New Dawn hates not being checked by a shorter season with a more extreme winter. Californians (at least those in the land of endless summer) hate New Dawn for its terminal mildew; absolute requirement of being dead headed to have any hopes of anything resembling "repeat" flowering; shapeless, colorless, truly UGLY messes we're expected to consider 'flowers'; and the enormous, prickly, mass of mildewy foliage the plant over grows into. This one NEEDS a shorter growing season with a harder cold period to keep it in check and force it to perform as it is reported to. Been there, done that, found it so bad, I won't touch roses bred from New Dawn. Same goes for anything out of Ballerina, except for Sally Holmes, or The Fairy for pretty much the same reasons. Kim

• spiderlily7
    12 years ago

Interesting observation about Ballerina. She's doing very well for me here in the south Louisiana heat and wet-blanket humidity. Blooms are long-lasting and no disease problems. I do have her planted in a location out of direct sun, however. She's new, though, so we'll see how she does after this winter.

• gardennatlanta
    12 years ago

Karen, If you've not already decided, I highly recommend Annie Laurie McDowell. I live in Atlanta which is somewhere near the center of the black spot universe. I have an arbor in my front yard that used to have a different pink climber on it. It was so disease ridden that it looked aweful most of the time. I finally decided to take it out and after much research decided on Annie Laurie McDowell.

This has been a bad year for black spot for me but I just looked at ALM and it doesn't have a spot on it. The leaves are kind of narrow and pointy--different from most other roses. I'm sure others could explain exactly why. I like them. The blooms are a very nice soft pick that only fade VERY SLIGHTLY as they age--never to be considered fading to white. It has a wonderful fragrance.

I got mine as a tiny baby--barely more than a rooted cutting and it has been fairly slow to grow. I would think that if you could find a larger plant it would grow much faster.

Here is a picture I took just this morning of Annie Laurie in my front garden. Sorry it's a little blurry.

{{gwi:295011}}

ALM is paired with a clematis--notice Annie's leaves on the left--not a spot on them. This is a great rose!

Jeff

• roseseek
    12 years ago

Good morning Jeff! What a lovely recommendation! Thank you! I have loved this rose since it germinated, but I am prejudiced. The complete lack of prickles; at least here, spotless foliage; wonderful fragrance and her insistence to flower, even at the expense of growth, gained her a place in my heart. You can imagine my delight when my dear friend graciously permitted me to name it for her.

You have now experienced what I've always said about disbudding to encourage climbing growth. If you can harden your heart and pick off the individual flower buds, she will respond with thick, strong basals which WILL climb, then explode into wonderful bunches of those exquisite blooms.

She has never set hips for me and is easily dead headed either by shaking the "bite-less" canes or washing the plant out with a garden hose. Against a block wall here, debris, dirt and spider webs (not spider mites, traditional spiders) collect in her limbs as they do in all the other climbers on the walls. A strong stream of water run through all of them keep the plants clean and healthy. It also keeps Annie Laurie McDowell free from spent flowers and they all appreciate the hydration and cooling off from the bath. We do, why not the roses?

The browning foliage in the photos is due to high heat and water stress, not disease. My experience with Annie Laurie McDowell agrees with yours, Jeff, she stays clean as a whistle here. Thanks for sharing your experience and I hope she brings you joy for years to come! Kim

Here is a link that might be useful: Disbudding to push new growth on immature plants

• gardennatlanta
    12 years ago

Thanks, Kim. The browning foliage is from the clematis, NOT Annie Laurie.

I guess I should go out and pick off all the buds, sigh.

• roseseek
    12 years ago

Oh, sorry, not the browning foliage in YOUR photo, the browned foliage in MY photos on the link. We're in the mid nineties to low hundreds with INTENSE sun. The ALmD rooted plant in my photos is in a two gallon can, close to hardscape and it has some fried leaves. Yours looks wonderful! Kim

• north_ca_rose
    Original Author
    12 years ago

The foliage of ALM looks beautiful, and I'm a sucker for good foliage. As I won't be removing New Dawn until winter, I'll use the remaining time to research your excellent suggestions and make a selection.
    Thank you,
    Karen

• luxrosa
    12 years ago

Does anyone know what ALM was bred from?
    It's such a pretty rose and the foliage is attractive too.

Lux.

• jerijen
    12 years ago

It is a seedling of Renae. Bred by Kim Rupert.

Jeri

• roseseek
    12 years ago

Thanks Lux. I've loved this rose since she first germinated. I don't ever want to be without her. Kim

Sponsored
WhislerHome Improvement
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Franklin County's Committed Home Improvement Professionals