SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
kay21_utahzone5

Another Compost Newbie

kay21_utahzone5b
10 years ago

I finally got my husband and sons on board to compost (free labor!) and am pleased with the results. Week and a half ago combined our threes piles and added mulched leaves and the last grass clippings of the year; it was cooking at 140-150 F by morning (amazing how exciting that is!). Now it's down to 120F. The pile's quite big and turning means removing most of it and putting it back again; a big project and there's so much to do before we're buried in snow.
What happens if I let it sit for the winter? Will those corn stalks (they're in the middle) break down by Spring? I could get my boys to turn it, but I think just once more as I need them for other projects. Was that high temp long enough to kill weed seeds? What about adding more mulched leaves on top for awhile with some coffee grounds (thanks Starbucks) and/or nitrogen pellets? Will the top heat up? Help heat the material below? ...Or not, since heat rises. If leaves are mulched and added right after they doo and before they are crunchy is it too much too hope they count as both brown and green?
I would like to toss food waste on, too. It'll be too cold to cause odor but do we cover the scraps each time, and with what? There will be a tarp over the pile throughout the winter, I'm hoping that will help hold in moisture and warmth and keep the pile from getting too wet during snow melts - the piles went cold after a lot of rain we had last month; which reminds me (in case this info helps answer my questions about killing weed seeds), much of the material has been that hot before we combined the piles and the most broken down material was added last.
I have read a lot on composting but these are tidbits I didn't see in my research. Thanks in advance for your patience with these little questions!

Comments (12)