SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
diggerdee

question about shrub placement

I am helping a friend with a small shrub border/bed. This is the situation.

The existing bed is one of the first things you see coming into her yard, as it is right next to and at the front of the driveway. Behind the bed, the land drops away pretty steeply and suddenly. She had a few trees taken down which were along that slope, and now the area is full of jewel weed and poke salad(?), grape vines, etc. So she wants to put some shrubs along the back of that bed to hide that area.

Here's my question. Not only does the land slope away behind the bed, but it also slopes, much more gently, from one side of the bed to the other. As you stand and look at the bed, the left side is higher ground than the right. The right side slopes down toward the driveway.

So, if I have some shrubs that are taller, would they look better being planted on the lower side, which would make them more even with shorter shrubs on higher ground? Or should I put the taller shrubs on the left, higher side, which might make them look even taller than they are in contrast to the shorter shrubs on lower ground. Or does it matter?

I'd say, off the top of my head, that the difference in ground level is anywhere from 3 to 6 feet. (Sorry, trying to estimate from memory.)

Thanks for any suggestions.

:)

Dee

Comments (11)