SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
coatfetish

Question about viburnum placement.

6 years ago

Please bear with me, I may get long winded and ramble...I have a mix of arrowwood dentatum and nannyberry viburnums that I bought on an auction site last year. 12 plants, 10 survived the winter (they were small, between 1 and 2 feet tall). I planted them to make a mixed hedge that I planned on leaving natural - not trimmed. Well, I am an older, 60-ish woman and use a push mower on a sloped lot 70' x 150'. It's just getting to be a bit much for me so I contracted a lawn service to mow for me this year - cheaper than buying and maintaining a riding mower. The guy says he can mow around the shrubs - which are still barely more than sticks - if I create an island of mulch that encompases all the shrubs in one long strip. They are planted about 8 feet apart because I wanted them to fill in to a hedge quicker. I admit that a mulch strip would be look better and probably be beneficial to the plants. But he'd really prefer I move them. They are in full sun now, and the only place they could go that would accommodate their growing size would be in late afternoon shade, up against my neighbor's stockade fence. Good drainage there, and good airflow in spite of the fence. He said he didn't mind. I live in z6 of Virginia and it always hovers in the mid-upper 90s or low 100s in the summer - which is either very dry or very wet - no in between, but usually dry. What is your advice? My reading suggests they might like the late afternoon shade because the summers here are so hot. Thanks in advance.

Comments (5)