SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
turbo_tpl

underplanted, underappreciated landscape trees

turbo_tpl
13 years ago

This is also probably been done repeatedly, but needs to be heard. A complement to my "hated landscape trees" post.

My favs (all native, because I'm also a xenophobic gardener):

Sourwood (probably my favorite tree)

American Smoketree (not that ugly purple chinese thing)

Sassafras

White Fringetree

Black gum

Silverbell

Redbay (RIP)

Pawpaw

Comments (40)

• krycek1984
    13 years ago

Tulip trees are also under utilized. They are extremely valuable because they grow fast, yet don't have the problem with brittle wood many other fast growers do. And they are native.

• Related Discussions

Underplanting Crape Myrtle

Q

Comments (2)
    I have grown gingers under mine for years and they have suffered no adverse effects. I also grow vines up a couple. Its really pretty with the vine's flowers hanging down from the canopy. One of the myrtles flowers white while the vine flowers sky blue. They look great together :o) Don't use a really agressive vine like the cypress vine. With that in mind if looking for a smallish plant you may want to think of shallow rooted plants like smaller gingers, cast iron plant, ferns and so forth. Mike
    ...See More

Underplanting- 2 Tree mulch bed

Q

Comments (31)
    Your whole problem started out because those were Norway maples. Norway maples are notoriously almost impossible to grow things under, including grass. I've researched it, they have an aggressive root system that basically robs anything growing under them of any chance of survival. Not sure why they had to come down, but they are also notorious for rotting out inside and falling on things. If they ground down the trunk, maybe you can replant. If you want a tree, try something like a Japanese maple or Autumn Blaze red maple. Or a pretty flowering tree like a dogwood or crab apple, That might bring some shade back to that spot. Or if you have an alternate spot in the backyard, transplant. Hopefully some will survive. Don't give up hope.
    ...See More

Kousa Dogwood: what to underplant?

Q

Comments (20)
    I have a 3 ft ring of mulch around the baby (6ft tall) dogwood now, it's been there since planting the tree. It's in the middle of my lawn and the brown circle of mulch just looks so empty relative to the green lawn. My mature flowering dogwood has lawn up to the trunk (a look I love). Just wanted to liven up the browness under the little guy. I appreciate all the suggestions! I'm leaning towards dwarf heuchera or mini hostas at the edge of the mulch circle. As he grows I'll fill in with grass.
    ...See More

How would you landscape this natural under-tree area?

Q

Comments (20)
    Despite how pretty the flowering plants/shrubs look in a mock up, there is no guarantee they will thrive - or even survive - under these conditions!! That's one of the major drawbacks of this sort of cursory design input. Unless one can examine firsthand the degree of rootiness and soil moisture (or rather, lack of it), suggestions for large growing and water hungry shrubs and perennials are a bit of a joke. The sweetgums (Liquidambar) in particular are well known for the production of a lot of surface roots that makes planting anything of any size under their canopy extremely problematic. And both they and the pines are water hogs and will pull all available moisture out of the soil. This is a design issue I encounter on a daily basis. I live in an area with a lot of larger trees and with many lots that have these pockets of woodlands and know from more than 25 years of experience that groundcovers suited for dry shade conditions are the best choice. They are small enough so that one is able to dig a sufficiently sized planting hole though the tree roots and once established, are able to survive with that heavy root competition. Save the larger flowering shrubs - camellias, azaleas, hydrangeas, etc. - for the areas well away from the trees where they can receive the root-free, adequately fertile soil conditions and soil moisture they need to thrive.
    ...See More
  • denninmi
    13 years ago

OK, I know everyone is going to hate this, and I understand why -- yes, it's a junk tree, relatively short lived, sends up a million suckers.

Quaking Aspen. Beautiful foliage. Beautiful bark. A grove of them with the silvery gray-white trunks and yellow fall foliage is spectacular on a crisp, clear October day.

And yes, I have them in my yard in a couple of spots, and I pull up suckers all the time and mow off many that come up in the lawn.

Still think they're beautiful, though.

• Dave in NoVA • N. Virginia • zone 7A
    13 years ago

On my list -- at least for mid-Atlantic Northern Virginia region -- would be the following evergreen trees (admittedly some are at the northern edge of their hardiness zone):

Ubame Oak (Quercus phillyraeoides)
    Darlington Oak (Quercus hemisphaerica)
    Escarpment Live Oak (Quercus fusiformis)
    Red Bay (Persea borbonia)
    Chinese Evergreen oak (Quercus myrsinifolia)
    Ilex x virginia
    Lusterleaf holly (Ilex latifolia)
    Longstalk holly (Ilex pedunculosa)
    Carolina Cherry laurel (Prunus caroliniana)
    Trachycarpus fortunei (Windmill palm)

Smaller trees/large shrubs:
    Osmanthus x fortunei
    Chindo viburnum
    Loquat (Eriobotya japonica)

• jamiedolan
    13 years ago

Red Oak. I don't see very many people planting oak around here. I'd like to see a few more weeping willows on -large- city properties, especially ones on the water.

• pineresin
    13 years ago

Around here, any conifer in the family Pinaceae. For some strange reason, almost no-one plants any in parks or gardens.

Some others:
    Torreya californica
    Libocedrus plumosa
    Juniperus drupacea
    Sciadopitys verticillata
    Populus lasiocarpa
    Pterocarya rhoifolia
    Juglans ailantifolia
    Betula albosinensis
    Betula maximowicziana
    Quercus frainetto
    Quercus macranthera
    Quercus myrsinifolia
    Embothrium coccineum
    Parrotia persica
    Acer macrophyllum
    Acer trautvetteri
    Acer maximowiczianum
    Aesculus indica
    Tilia mongolica
    Tilia amurensis
    Tilia oliveri

Resin

• whaas_5a
    13 years ago

Not really differentiating underplanted vs. underappreciated and of course it will be dependent on locale.

Acer pseudosieboldianum
    Acer triflorum
    Acer griseum
    Aesculus octandra (and its cultivars)
    Betula alleghaniensis (picky, but wow!)
    Carpinus caroliniana
    Cladrastis kentuckea
    Evodia danielii
    Heptacodium miconioides (late bloom is very valuable)
    Maackia amurensis
    Quercus bicolor

• Embothrium
    13 years ago

For a list (with descriptions) that was made by a local expert for my locale

Here is a link that might be useful: Trees that merit planting in Seattle

• lkz5ia
    13 years ago

Hemiptelia davidii! haha I just came across that name, and obviously it must be underplanted, since today is the first day I've heard of it.

• pineresin
    13 years ago

"Euodia danielii"

Now Tetradium danielii

"Hemiptelia"

Hemiptelea ;-)

Resin

• calliope
    13 years ago

Litte leaf linden.

• musicalperson
    13 years ago

Pinabetulus macroquercafolia var. chineses 'variegata purpurea'

best tree ever

• poaky1
    13 years ago

around here : quercus alba quercus imbricaria quercus bicolor quercus prinus( chestnut oak?) fagus grandifolia not sure of the botanical name for burr oak

• whaas_5a
    13 years ago

"Pinabetulus macroquercafolia var. chineses 'variegata purpurea'
    best tree ever"

Spelling? Never heard of it, nor has google.

Although finiky, I agree fagus grandifolia should be added to the list.

• musicalperson
    13 years ago

I could have misspelled it. I'm going from memory. Someone feel free to correct the spelling.

• arbordave (SE MI)
    13 years ago

Not entirely hardy here, but has great foliage and is supposed to be light on seed production (less litter issues): "Burgundy Flush" Chinese Sweetgum.

There are better lindens that those that are generally available (= the Tilia cordata cultivars). Resin mentioned amurensis, oliveri, and mongolica (the latter not very distinct from cordata IMO). Silver linden (tomentosa), and Weeping Silver Linden (petiolaris) should also be used more (though they may be over-planted where you are, Resin). Chinensis and henryana may have possibilities. "Continental Appeal" (T. heterophylla) is a good looking tree, and some larger growers are beginning to carry it.

BTW Resin, I'm also a fan of Acer maximowiczianum. Acer mandshuricum should be grown more as well.

Whaas, which Aesculus cultivars are you talking about?

• whaas_5a
    13 years ago

Agree, I never see Silver Linden planted around by me. Its tough to find one with good but what a beauty.

If I'm not mistaken A. octandra is the same as A. flava.
    Hopefully I'm using the cultivar and parent terminology correctly.

Check out 'Homestead' and 'Autumn Splendor'.

Here is a link that might be useful:

• viburnumvalley
    13 years ago

Ah, the underused and underappreciated...

Quercus macrocarpa
    Quercus muehlenbergii
    Quercus michauxii
    Quercus lyrata
    Quercus marilandica
    Fraxinus quadrangulata
    Magnolia acuminata
    Tilia americana
    Betula lenta
    Celtis occidentalis
    Celtis laevigata
    Osmanthus americanus
    Ostrya virginiana
    Ptelea trifoliata
    Carya spp. ALL OF THEM
    Fagus grandifolia dittos
    Aesculus flava dittos
    Cladrastis kentukea dittos
    Asimina triloba dittos
    Sassafras albidum dittos
    Cotinus obovatus dittos
    Stuartia (Stewartia) malacodendron
    Stuartia (Stewartia) ovata
    Franklinia alatamaha
    Styrax americana
    Viburnum rufidulum
    Viburnum sieboldii
    Ilex decidua
    Calocedrus decurrens
    Picea orientalis
    Abies cilicica
    Abies nordmanniana
    Sciadopitys verticillata dittos

I've got both Tetradium daniellii and Hemiptelea davidii here in the yard - going on ten years, and happy as clams.

• brandon7 TN_zone7
    13 years ago

"Now Tetradium danielii"

Believe it's Tetradium daniellii

• whaas_5a
    13 years ago

Its amazing how locale dependent the lists are. For example Tilia americana and Celtis occidentalis are overplanted in my area. Non the less good list for folks to check out trees they aren't familar with.

• calliope
    13 years ago

Exactly. When I was a child, tilia was a very common city tree. In fact I lived on a street lined with linden trees. Mostly in islands in the center of residential streets or in the ample hellstrips. After moving back here as an adult, one only sees them occasionally and those are the survivors of the old plantings. I never see a young one anymore.

In fact, it is very rare to see any tree, much less a larger tree planted in that strip of land between a sidewalk and a front lawn. Mostly it's because people don't want bird poop or residue on their precious cars, and don't want to sweep a sidewalk. LOL. If you want to park your car in the shade, you can forget it. What a shame.

• hogmanay
    13 years ago

I too would like to see more sourwood and smoketree (from the OPs list) since they grow well here for the most part.

I'd like to see more bald cypress and have a few in the yard (planted as whips, so still tiny).

I'm a fan of deciduous conifers, and I like to see them anywhere they can grow. They don't seem to be planted in yards and parks so much.

• whaas_5a
    13 years ago

Bald Cypress is another one I can't figure out why no one plants around here. The ones I've ever seen are botanic gardens, arbs and of all places my neighbors yard.

They have such a nice symetrical shape and the leaves/branches sway so gracefully in the wind.

• arbordave (SE MI)
    13 years ago

Whaas, I agree that some of the Aesculus varieties should be used more (at least those that are resistant to leaf blotch/scorch). Both Homestead and Autumn Splendor are advertised to be resistant. Homestead is also reported to be seedless and have good fall color (I haven't seen this variety myself). I have seen Autumn Splendor (only smaller trees) but haven't observed very good fall color on it so far (maybe when the trees get a little bigger?).

I've also seen A. chinensis (again, only smaller trees) and it has clean, attractive foliage that is supposed to be disease resistant. Some say that this species is one of the most impressive of the Aesculus in flower as well as foliage.

Speaking of resistance to leaf problems, why isn't anyone growing some of the lesser-known Celtis species (bungeana, jessoensis, julianae) that are supposed to be resistant to leaf galls (and witches broom)?

Add another vote for Sourwood. Wish they would do well here.

• spruceman
    13 years ago

Here is my list of underappreciated and under planted landscape trees:

Tops on my list is a common tree, the eastern white oak. It is almost never available at retail nurseries, but in my opinion it is the finest hardwood landscape tree that can be planted in much of the eastern USA.

But for more "unusual" trees, near the top of my list is larch (European larch, Japanese larch, and the hybrid, marschlinsii). Again, virtually never available in retail nurseries, but beautiful trees with wonderful early spring green color and good fall color. Along with the larch, but not so uncommon, is bald cypress.

Next are some fir trees. Here in the "Mid-Atlantic" region of the US the best fir may be A. holophylla. It grows as if native--very big, tall, and lush-- here in the VA Arboretum, near Winchester, and even produces an occasional seedling. Also growing well there is A. nordmaniana. I am trying A. cilicia, numidica, fargasii, bornmulleriana, cephalonica, koreana, and a few others. Those named seem especially promising so far. One that is growing especially vigorously at the national Arboretum in Washington, D.C. is the hybrid, A. X vilmorinii (Cephalonia/pinsapo).

Fir trees are beautiful trees and their complete absence as landscape trees is very, very strange.

Next, I agree with the person recommending Picea orientalis. It is a fine spruce tree, and when relatively young is perhaps the most attractive of all the spruces. With age, Norway spruce from the proper strain grows more beautifully, but P. orientalis should be much more widely grown.

Resin names some of the European oaks on his list. I have not seen mature specimens of those he mentions, but I am growing Q. frainetto and castaneafolia. We have some fine native oaks, but I think some of the European oaks deserve more attention. I have never seen one, except for Q. robur, at a retail nursery.

Of course there are others I could list, but these are the ones that stand out in my mind as grossly under planted. They are underappreciated only because no one ever sees them, except, of course, for the white oaks that grow naturally in woodlands, and those preserved from woodlands when housing developments are built, which is not often enough.

--spruce

• krycek1984
    13 years ago

Ah speaking of spruces, I have the two sided coin - blue spruce and norway spruce. There are a ton of blue spruces around here, and they just never do well. They get scraggly and never really "thrive". I wish more people would plant the norway spruces, they tend to do considerably better around here. Also, on large lots, I'm surprised more people don't plant canadian hemlock; they are such large, gracious trees.

• hogmanay
    13 years ago

amen to the hemlock krycek! however, down here at the tail end of the Appalachians, there is Hemlock wooly adelgid that is infesting them.

Last year, at times it looked like light snow when they "spawned" in summer.

Tsuga canadensis is still listed as "secure", and I hope the infestation we have down this way doesn't spread. Sometimes I take the "long way home" from work to see an old house with a towering specimen in the front yard. It looks as if the home existed before the road, and they made a big curve to leave room for his property and the awesome trees! :-)

• Embothrium
    13 years ago

My understanding is that both Canadian and Carolina hemlock old growth groves have already been pretty much eliminated or soon will be.

We get them on western hemlock out here also, but it does not seem to be as sensitive.

• User
    13 years ago

"My understanding is that both Canadian and Carolina hemlock old growth groves have already been pretty much eliminated or soon will be."

What is the real story behind this wooly adelgid outbreak? I have a several of these trees planted in a grove in the back yard. They were probably there for years (I didn't plant them.) They look fine but yes, I do see an occasional branch that seems to have a problem. Only it doesn't seem to spread or even get worse from year to year--even though this year our trees and shrubs are under a lot of stress due to high heat and drought. But usually there is good strong growth on the tree that does not show the problem. And again--most branches don't seem to be affected.

• krycek1984
    13 years ago

You can tell if you have them by looking for a bunch of white cottony spots on the branches. There are several pictures on the internet detailing what they look like.

• dsieber
    13 years ago

Posted by calliope 6 (My Page) on Fri, Jul 9, 10 at 12:55

Litte leaf linden.

While I like the tree it is over planned in the Denver CO area.

• denninmi
    13 years ago

Regarding the woolly adelgid, does anyone know of Bayer Advanced is effective against this pest?

My Hemlock is just a baby, and frankly I haven't look at it closely this year.

Seems to me this is the kind of sucking insect that this product would be effective on.

I know I had a bad infestation of those jumbo type, big, juicy scale on my 2 flower peaches, and trees looked bad last year. I put Bayer Advanced on them first thing this spring, the scales are now gone and the trees have a lot of new growth. I was sure I was going to lose them. I now have the same basic type of scale on my yellow magnolia, and need to remember to get the treatment on them!

• stimpy926
    13 years ago

Sciadopitys verticillata , Umbrella pine

If you plant a Tsuga canadensis 'they will come'. From what I've heard, and relayed to me from a gardener in the Baltimore area, Bartlett or someone, treats woolly a's on her's with a systemic insecticide. Costly, but she had many mature specimens worth saving.

Here is a link that might be useful: Sciadopitys

• rusty_blackhaw
    13 years ago

I've planted several trees mentioned in this thread in recent years - white oak, black gum (tupelo), paw paw, Parrotia persica and American smoketree among them.

I'm also fond of the Kentucky coffeetree, which has interesting bark and compound foliage. There are some sources which gripe about the seedpods dropped from female trees, but I haven't seen this to be a problem (those intent on a perfect lawn might feel otherwise). The tree is also very tough and adaptable.

• philinsydney1
    13 years ago

Moreton Bay figs are our most striking tree

{{gwi:404824}}

Hoop pines and bunya pines ae spectacular as well.

• restorephoto
    13 years ago

My 2c:

Repeating some of the earlier recommendations in no particular order:

Cladrastus Kentuckea (sp?) (lutea)
    Acer triflorum
    Parrotia
    Sciadopitys verticillata
    Quercus muehlenbergii

• ademink
    12 years ago

Cornus mas

• lpinkmountain
    12 years ago

I agree about tilia, or basswood. I have made rope cord with the inner bark of this tree. Great smelling flowers too! Also agree about Cornus mas/Cornelian cherry, there was a gorgeous one near my old school. Supposedly the berries are edible, although I hope to never have to rely on them as a food source. And I'll add sweetgum. People are way too afrait of the gumballs. Spend 15 min. out in the yard and pick them up, for heavans sake! I love the purple fall color.

• arktrees
    12 years ago

Missed this thread last year while I was working way too much, but here are some I believe fits the theme.

Chalk Maple Acer leucoderme
    Southern Sugar Maple Acer floridanum
    BigToothed Maple Acer grandidentatum
    American Fringe Tree Chionanthus virginicus

The already mentioned.
    Yellowwood Cladrastis kentuckea(lutea)
    Decidous Holly Ilex decidua (allot of this native locally and it looks great in winter)
    Acer pseudosieboldianum
    Acer triflorum
    Acer griseum
    White Oak Quercus alba
    Scarlet Oak Quercus coccinea
    Chinkapin Oak Quercus muehlenbergii
    Carpinus caroliniana

On a related note, here is one to look up.
    Ozark Chinquapin Castanea pumila var ozarkensis
    Work is ongoing to develop blight resistant trees.

• jqpublic
    12 years ago

around here i don't see many oaks planted other than the willow, white, and pin oaks. I wish more Northern and Southern Red Oaks were planted. I also like hickories and given ones from seed could take up to 40 years to seed it will be a beautiful large leafed tree to break up the monotony.