SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
nickjoseph

Our new Dick Clark & Love Song planted one month ago

Where are my friends with smartphones with cameras when I need/want them? Most of my bushes are not quite as full as last year, but are getting beautiful with blooms now. The Dick Clark I planted about a month ago has seemingly gotten 1/3 larger and full of beautiful blooms. There is not one area on the entire bush that does not have a gorgeous bloom in varying stages of opening. I am so happy with this new addition to our rose garden. The Love Song is gorgeous also and blooming beautifully. Weird thing is it is tending to bloom quicker on the right side of the bush than the middle and left side despite all the buds over most of the bush. Maybe the sun is hitting the right side of the bush more so. One strange thing with the Love Song is that if I hold one side of the bush and the other side of the bush, I could gently 'rock' the bush. We planted as deep as we could, but this bush had many healthy canes that were not suckers right by the graft knot. The graft knot was large, and we covered (from what I remember) most of the graft--but we couldn't cover the entirety because of so many canes starting from that. They would have had to be cut off or buried when planting. So I tried to put more soil over it once it was planted and it seems to be flourishing. I'm hoping that once the bush's roots become established--it will seem more stable. Don't get me wrong, it is not coming out of the ground--just when I take hold of each side of the bush, it can seem to 'rock'. I'm probably not making sense... A friend came over that knows roses, and she felt there was no other way I could have planted the bush because of where so many canes were situated. She felt it looked fine.

This post was edited by nickjoseph on Sun, Jul 6, 14 at 19:53

Comments (5)